1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Identyfying Engine Type

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by DSM TUNER, May 11, 2003.

1. DSM TUNER

DSM TUNER Junior Member

Well i jus bought a 89' 5 speed CRX for 350$ runs very good.... needs a new mirror and windsield...but anyway...i need help identfiying the engine type i didnt really have much time to grab the number off the block ....but it said 16 valve and i only seen one cam....im jus wondering if this was stock for any of the years it was made...or did some one put it in? were the crx si's a sohc 16 Valve..thanx fo helpin out

2. starboy869

starboy869 Senior Member

umm doesn't it take about 30 sec to a min just to check an engine block code.

1. open hood
    2. wipe the flat surface between exhaust manifold & transaxle
    3. bend down a bit
    4. apply light, glasses (if required)
    5. read engine code
    6. write down code if your memory isn't that good
    7. remove light and close hood

I think that would take a full min.

But really... The only 100% for sure way you know which engine you have in your car is to read the engine block code. 89 CRX.. I think there was two/three models. A coupe (DX/HF???) and a Si model. The Si has the 1.6L. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris
    90 Civic HB ZC 5spd :sleep:
    Canada

3. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

crx engines:

HF = D15B6
    DX = D15B2
    SI = D16Z6

note: if you dont know which model you have because it doesnt say SI or HF on the back of the car, then you probably have a DX (they had no designation on the back).

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted