need help no clue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hadjieson

ok. you're all gonna love this i'm a gm guy strong. i got 5 bowties and i'm proud of each and every one. i got a buddie wit an older crx hatch (don't kno any more off the top of my head). he challanged me to a lil "honda build off" now i kno he knows his shit and probably gonna go deep with it and no-holds bar. i found an 83 prelude with the 1.8 for chump change. i now i don't kno shit about honda's cept they ricers. so i wanna kno what the best set-up for ballbark 10 grand. i will never touch nos and forced air is a must. let me kno what's what and my options. fabricating is not an issue so if i need to cut or weld no prob. thanks for the help

read the forum for about 30 minutes. nobody is going to spoon feed it all to you. everything you need to know is here.

here's the problem i don't kno ANYTHING bout hondas. i wouldn't kno where to start i'm loking for more of a push in the rite direction. lik tellin someone to put a 350 in a s10. what they do with the 350 is up to them but it's a goot ballpark of where to start. if they decide to go with a an ls or a 4.3 is on them but at least it's a good idea. i have no clue what the diff is btween ANY honda engine is and which makes pwer and which dont. a 400 will go to shit and make less pwer than a 350 and a 350 will make more than a 305. how to mak the power i can find out i just don't kno what engines do what and what is worth the $ and not. like i've stated too many times already, i'm gm thru and thru i'm just tryin not to piss off everyone and put a gm engine in a honda plus i'm always lookin to learnn more

id avoid that 83 prelude at ALL COSTS. unless you plan on fabbing your own mounts there's not a lot you're going to be able to do with it.

For 10G id stay in the following ranges:

88-2000 Civic
88-2001 Integra
92-2001 Prelude
90-97 Accord
ANY Del Sol

All of those are easily swappable and the older ones can be had at a very nice price.

For 10Gs, i personally would go for a 92-95 civic (hatch preferred, but they're usually a bit more expensive). Id swap an LS (B18B) engine add a B16 head, and since you said you want to do forced induction, reinforce the bottom end with some eagle rods. Pick up a turbo (If it were me, i'd probably go towards something like a GT28 or a GT30)

You can get intercoolers pretty cheap if you look in the right places (IE, not summit or jegs). You can have a muffler shop fab your charge piping. Pick up a new manifold of course. If you've ever done FI, you should know where you're going from there.

If you pick the civic, a lot of people like to upgrade to the half size radiator for better clearance.

From there its tuning. You can alter the stock d-series wire harness to work with the LS/VTEC (the engine i described above) you'd only need to add 3-4 wires. Use a P28 ecu (check ebay for a virgin or slotted one...DO NOT buy a pre-chipped one). Take the car to pretty much any tuning shop and they'll be able to get you at least a base map for your turbo build, the better ones will want $$$ for dyno time and tuning.

:cliffs:

grab an eg shell, pickup an LS swap and a b16 head. at a minimum upgrade the con rods. piece together a turbo setup and have it tuned.

well i got the prelude for 250 and i'm not worried about fabin motor mounts hell i gotta do that with half my other cars and it's not an issue. i was talkin to som honda guys and they suggested the k20. now i have no clue what the diff is between any honda engines so if someone could give me a quick run down of what the engine code diff mean. lik k or f or b, 16 or 20 or 22 all that or the a what have you and then the las # in them ex, k20a2 i seen or f20 any of that i have no idea what all that means. any info would help thanx

the k20 is easily the most expensive motor you can put in the car. If you're planning on going with FI, id go with the F20. Its cheap, it has iron sleeves and you can get new pistons and rods and a very respectable turbo setup (probably 400-500hp) for your budget. It'll take probably 6k of your budget to hit 500hp and if we're talking about drag racing then you'll also wanna spend someone money on suspension because there is no way you're going to keep the wheels on the ground.

You're other option is a LS (B18A1 and B18B1). Similar to above and you can probably find it cheaper. The issue with both swaps is axle length. Not sure how you get over that issue. Might have to fab up custom axles and that's no bueno.

Back