Need help on 2000 Civic Si w/ Edelbrock turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bpounds

I have a 2000 Civic Si (B16A2). I had an Edelbrock turbo added about 7 months ago. It only ran good for about a month. But now, it jerks a lot when my speed idles at a certain speed (for example - going 55 mph in 5th gear for about ten seconds). It only drives good when I am accelerating to a higher speed. This morning my car completely cut off while approaching a stop sign, but it cranked right up. Sometimes, the car will not even accelerate when I am pushing the gas pedal (it's like it bogs down). I have to put it in neutral, then rev it to about 5,000 RPMs and then put it in gear to go. It's really weird.

Another problem that comes and goes is that my car is sooooo slow when accelerating from a complete stop. It will only go 5 to 10 mph for about 5 or so seconds. If I am going uphill, it almost will not make it. People always swerve around me wondering why a suped up car is driving like a grandma. It may do it one day, and then the next, it drives fine.

Normally, my car runs great on the way to work, but I have to pray to make it home everyday. That's when I have the most problems.

Anyway, the guys who put it on checked the timing and the wires for the ECU and piggy back, but they said nothing is wrong with that. They said I should try a new map sensor (but they can't guarantee it will work). They said it could also be my ECU going out.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? All answers would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, also I have been emailing a technician at Edelbrock. I sent him pictures of the ECU and piggy back; he said it was fine. The only thing he could come up with is that I need my O2 sensors replaced to take the car out of "home limp mode."?? (the engine check light is on). Please help!!!

And some more background info is that I had a burnt valve back in November 06. Since the engine was going to have to be rebuilt anyway, I decided to add the turbo. So, low compression pistons and Skunk 2 valves were added. Also, they put on a new Spec 2 clutch. (hope this info helps).

I was about to buy a new map sensor from O'reilly auto parts. But, I don't want to waste my money if it doesn't need one.

I spoke to the technician at Edelbrock this morning and he said I should not have to replace my stock ECU because the piggy back system allows it to work properly with the turbo. Man, I am stumped.

Is it possible that the guys at the shop messed up the wiring and caused my ECU to malfunction. And then noticed it and corrected it.....but it still messed up the ECU??

Back