need help on building my gsr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tcf97gsr

well i'm new to this site and to let everyone know, i have a 97 gsr that i picked up for 6 g's with only 50k miles on it. right now i just have cat back exhaust and im soon goin to be gettin i/h. im tryin to get everything CARB approved so i wont get any bullshit from cops. i want my car to be quick but still "legal". after i/h, i want to start building the head. like i heard skunk2 cams dont afftect the emissions and they're carb pending so im looking in to those, but if anyone can help, let me know of anything i should do with my situation, parts i should get after i/h. thanks.

bang for buck get the carb greddy turbo kit....then you won't have to dish out on the intake and exhaust manifold, and you have an exhaust already...

I think it runs for 4k maybe less with the intercooler, plus some other little misc. components

nah i'm not looking for forced induction, i want my car to be all motor, if i was gonna do something drastic like that i would supercharge, but for now i want to build the internals of the motor so it can be quick on the street, and still be or almost be a legal daily driven car.

;) Good Luck!

We just put JDM ITR pistons in my Buddy's 97 GSR and the OBD 2 Ecu doesn't like them. Runs kinda ruff at an idle.
I suggest OBD 1 Ecu conversion off the bat!!! All motor is the Shizzit!

get a skunk2 intake manifold, skunk2 stage one cams, DC sports header (one of the few *good* 50 state legal headers). You might want to think about a higher compression pistons as it is rare that the cops will give you a ticket if you show them that your intake and header have a CARB # on it, so then you will not have a ref tear down your block to see the pistons. I would think about ITR pistons, and maybe a stiffer valve train. Good luck man CARB can be a bitch I am working on it right now to get my build up legal.

Originally posted by tcf97gsr@Sep 10 2003, 03:17 AM
well i'm new to this site and to let everyone know, i have a 97 gsr that i picked up for 6 g's with only 50k miles on it. right now i just have cat back exhaust and im soon goin to be gettin i/h. im tryin to get everything CARB approved so i wont get any bullshit from cops. i want my car to be quick but still "legal". after i/h, i want to start building the head. like i heard skunk2 cams dont afftect the emissions and they're carb pending so im looking in to those, but if anyone can help, let me know of anything i should do with my situation, parts i should get after i/h. thanks.

i wanna know where the hell you can find a 97 gsr with 50k on it for 6 grand.

Originally posted by xyswany+Sep 10 2003, 07:43 PM-->
@Sep 10 2003, 07:43 PM

i wanna know where the hell you can find a 97 gsr with 50k on it for 6 grand.

yeah man i was lucky i came upon it, my buddies knew i wanted a gsr so they kept an eye out and this chick was sellin it cause she needed the money, and she didnt even run the car hard. she just used it to get around, so it was a good pick up :D

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Sep 10 2003, 07:42 PM
get a skunk2 intake manifold, skunk2 stage one cams, DC sports header (one of the few *good* 50 state legal headers). You might want to think about a higher compression pistons as it is rare that the cops will give you a ticket if you show them that your intake and header have a CARB # on it, so then you will not have a ref tear down your block to see the pistons. I would think about ITR pistons, and maybe a stiffer valve train. Good luck man CARB can be a bitch I am working on it right now to get my build up legal.

hey man, that is basically what i wanted to do to it. skunk2 is a really good and reliable product, especially if the stage one cams are carb pending so i was looking into those, and i was planning on the manifold and the DC headers too. and im prob goin with skunk2 valve springs/retainers also. and yeah i want to convert my OBD2 to OBD1 and for pistons i was thinking about ctr, my buddy was telling me that the cr is pretty good, and i also was thinking of del sol pistons[pr3], they boost compression to 11.3:1 i think. well thanks for the help, good luck with your build up too.

i had the skunk2 stage1's they come with a carb sticker for your engine bay, hehe. skunk2 intake mani is also carb legal, aem and dc also carb. converting back to obd1 isn't legal, but keep your obd2 ecu for smog checks. yes b16 pistons will raise your cr, ctr pistons will put you around 12:1 i think, you should still be ok for smog.

Back