Need help on S40 transmission replacement.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cleft_Asunder

I have a damaged S40 a000 trany on my stock 97 DX 5-speed @125k. I've never replaced a trany, but I will definitely be doing it because I'm very good at mechanics. I've done the timing belt, drive belts, water pump and many other things on this car.
I'm not sure where to get a new (used) trany though. I have a junkyard near me that sells manual transmissions for $400, and auto's for $450. But that's the best I can do. Also, there is a good possibility I will be selling this car because I want an auto instead. You may not know this, but the manual version of the civic is terrible in snow. Conversely, the auto version is "good" in snow. I used to own a 98 DX auto and that thing would just fly through the snow! So that's a big reason I want to sell it.

1. Where should I buy my transmission?

2. Will the new transmission come with the original clutch, pressure plate and flywheel? Or will I need a new clutch kit? I'm looking at exedy clutch kits, but I doubt I will go with a light Fidanza flywheel because I want to stay true to OEM, which is like 16-18 pounds.

3. Organic clutch right?

4. Would it be a better idea to just get my flywheel resurfaced? The problem is that I have major chatter issues currently, and I'm worried the stock flywheel developes hard spots easily. I have to slip my clutch on an incline almost every day due to hard spots!

5. What other parts should I replace? Master and slave cylinder? I already installed all new motor mounts. I know I'm going to need new seals but I'm not sure which ones. Please be specific because I don't want to forget anything.

Thanks.

Back