need help on turbo build?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1992civichatch

i am kinda new at engine building but i got 1991 teg with b18a but i want turbo it in the near future at like 12- 18 psi max. i wanna basically want a run down of what i need done to the engine to run correctly and safe.

and i wanna make 250ish hp

you can make that kinda power with a t3/t4 turbo around 7 psi unless your planning on building your motor I wouldn't recommend going more then 9 psi. the cfm will be to high on the head

using a smaller turbo like a t25 will spool faster and you can run more boost but you topend will not see much increase

do a leakdown and a compression test on the motor

Last edited:
ight
if i wanna more hp down the road what would kind of engine building would have 2 do
New sleeves, pistons, rods, head internals, balanced assembly. More hp will require more money/better parts. There are tons of write-ups floating around the internet on how to build a motor for turbo.

250 hp you can do on your stock motor anything more your going to need beef the motor up, you do have a lot of miles on the car if you would decide to turbo the motor as it sits now I would replace the head gasket and get some arp head studs, personally me I would rebuild the motor to be safe, it will cost 500 max to rebulid then you have a brand new motor. Ive seen boosted d16 with over 250k miles but its your call, if you think the motor was abused by the previous owner then I would rebulid

100% sure that you should go with a full rebuild...maybe forged rods and pistons as well.. but definetly rebuild.. and it wont take you anywhere near 12-18 psi to get you to 250... and make sure you get a tune!

If 250 whp is your goal, then a stock bottom end is fine. Rather than paying $$$ for a rebuild, just find a quality low mileage short block and call it a day. There will be alot less turnaround time as well.

ARP head studs are always a good idea. In addition to that, I would replace the rod bolts with ARP's as well. The rod bolts are known to be the weakest link on LS motors.

I personally think that a Cometic head gasket is an overkill for anything utilizing a stock bottom end. I have been running 250 whp on my stock bottom b18c on a cheapo Felpro head gasket for awhile now. My roommate is putting down 400 whp with his KA-T 240sx on a Felpro gasket as well.

The Felpro head gasket is the only thing they make that's worth a damn IMO. Lots of DSM guys are using those gaskets in conjunction with O-ringed heads to keep from pushing coolant at high boost and power levels.

Back