1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help on turbo build?

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by 1992civichatch, Mar 18, 2008.

1. 1992civichatch

1992civichatch New Member

i am kinda new at engine building but i got 1991 teg with b18a but i want turbo it in the near future at like 12- 18 psi max. i wanna basically want a run down of what i need done to the engine to run correctly and safe.

and i wanna make 250ish hp

2. t3t4delsol

t3t4delsol New Member

you can make that kinda power with a t3/t4 turbo around 7 psi unless your planning on building your motor I wouldn't recommend going more then 9 psi. the cfm will be to high on the head

using a smaller turbo like a t25 will spool faster and you can run more boost but you topend will not see much increase

3. 1992civichatch

well my engine has almost 190000 miles on it and it looks like its been abused by previous owners

4. t3t4delsol

t3t4delsol New Member

do a leakdown and a compression test on the motor

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  5. 1992civichatch

ight
    if i wanna more hp down the road what would kind of engine building would have 2 do

6. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

New sleeves, pistons, rods, head internals, balanced assembly. More hp will require more money/better parts. There are tons of write-ups floating around the internet on how to build a motor for turbo.

7. t3t4delsol

t3t4delsol New Member

250 hp you can do on your stock motor anything more your going to need beef the motor up, you do have a lot of miles on the car if you would decide to turbo the motor as it sits now I would replace the head gasket and get some arp head studs, personally me I would rebuild the motor to be safe, it will cost 500 max to rebulid then you have a brand new motor. Ive seen boosted d16 with over 250k miles but its your call, if you think the motor was abused by the previous owner then I would rebulid

8. Marky Mark

Marky Mark New Member

100% sure that you should go with a full rebuild...maybe forged rods and pistons as well.. but definetly rebuild.. and it wont take you anywhere near 12-18 psi to get you to 250... and make sure you get a tune!

9. b16stalyun

b16stalyun New Member

shoot, id like to know somone near asheville who will rebuild for 500! i got the cash right now!!!!!!!

10. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

If 250 whp is your goal, then a stock bottom end is fine. Rather than paying $$$ for a rebuild, just find a quality low mileage short block and call it a day. There will be alot less turnaround time as well.

ARP head studs are always a good idea. In addition to that, I would replace the rod bolts with ARP's as well. The rod bolts are known to be the weakest link on LS motors.

I personally think that a Cometic head gasket is an overkill for anything utilizing a stock bottom end. I have been running 250 whp on my stock bottom b18c on a cheapo Felpro head gasket for awhile now. My roommate is putting down 400 whp with his KA-T 240sx on a Felpro gasket as well.

11. silver

silver Senior Member

The Felpro head gasket is the only thing they make that's worth a damn IMO. Lots of DSM guys are using those gaskets in conjunction with O-ringed heads to keep from pushing coolant at high boost and power levels.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted