Need help please - clutch pedal issue!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

chestercheeto48

VIP
Need Help to get home from work - please help - clutch pedal issue

This problem started yesterday out of the blue and has been annoying the crap out of me each time I go to start driving my car. (96 dx stick with 150,xxx mi.) After letting it sit for a period of time like over night or while at work when I go to start it I am having problems getting it to shift into 1st or reverse while the car is started.

I can shift with no issue when the car is off. As soon as I push the clutch pedal it feels very soft and when the engine is started the car starts to move in which ever gear I have it. If I try to shift into neutral I can't so I turn my car off and try again. After I get moving and run through a couple of shift cycles I can feel the pedal has more pressure and I can shift fine for the rest of the drive.

I do not think it is tranny or clutch related but more of a clutch pedal problem - gears 2-5 work fine and once I am on the road 1st and reverse work fine as well.

So here is my question is there a way to adjust the tension on the clutch pedal to help the clutch disengage sooner? Is there like a master/slave cylinder that I can check?

I looked under the hood and all I could find were two caps located by the drivers side rear that both had "brake fluid" on the caps. Am I missing something if so please point me in the right direction. I have a shop at school and can do the work myself if somebody could just explain what I am looking for or what I need to do. All I need is a point in the right direction to get me started.

Any help would be appreciated as I want to limp this car along as long as possible to avoid a car payment.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Check the master cylinder (smallest reservoir) that is closest to the driver side fender well. You may be low on fluid. If you are low on fluid fill it up and check the master cylinder and the clutch slave to ensure there are no leaks. You may have to look into replacing one of the two. There is no way to adjust the tension of the clutch pedal. It is all hydraulically controlled. Therefore, it is something in your hydraulic loop for the clutch that isn't allowing the clutch to get all the way pushed in. I'd bet its the clutch slave (small actuator mounted on the front of the transmission).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back