Need help please.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BlackDx

I posted a while ago about my 90 isuzu pup and how it was fucked, but unfortuntly I never found out what was wrong with it. But now I discovered that it is contagious. My 96 civic is acting fucked and I don't know shit so please someone help me out here.

I drove yesterday to work and back and everything was fine with my car. So this morning i wake up late and have to leave so i get in my car, sit there with it runninf for about 3 mins or so then i leave. I notcie on the highway that when I tried to go above 3000 RPM (in any gear) that my car would start to sputter and like skip. So i tuned down music and noticed that it was louder then usual but with a muffeled sound (kinda weird to explain sounds). This afternoon before I left work i checked vaccum leaks, plug wires and oil. Everything was cool but still acting shitty. When I try and accelarate it acts like it doesn't want to go, it was acting very sluggish. When it would idle it would go from 900-1000 rmp's (normal , for me atleast) and then drop down to 500-600 rpm's and it is also a very rough idle (shakin). Also occasionaly when i would let off gas and put in clutch it would give out a little backfire. Also i would be going down the road and say around 3000 rpm's and would want to speed up a little I couldn't, not without downshifting. When i pushed gas pedal to get speed it would just lay where it was, like it had no more to offer. Also its a 96 Civic DX with d16y8 and auto/manual conversion, AEM CAI, HP Header. Engine has roughly 60,000 miles on it with new valves/pistions put in it at roughly 25,000 miles (bough engine 1 week later had to have them) I do not race it, but i drive kinda hard. Never taken it to redline, 5000rpm is about highest its been.

Cliffnotes - car fine yesterday, today car sputter and skip in morning at 3,000-3,500 rpms. It idles real low at 500-600 rpms with rough ass idle. Has no real power and acts like anything above 3500 rpm is too much. Sounds real loud and muffled at the same time and occasionally would backfire with clutch in

Please someone help me out here and tell its some simple sensor to fix. Taken off work tomarrow to work on car.

Not sure where you are from but if its a cold climate I would bet money thats its your CAI...

A friend has a 2002 civic si that has a aem cai, and somehow it froze solid and the car wouldn't rev over 3K...
sounds like all the same symptoms as you have right now, like the engine can;t suck enough air...

try removing the filter from the cai and see if it straightens out...
if so then thaw your filter...

It is roughly 20 degress around here so I will try that.

Also I the check engine light never came on.... But I have never seen said light and I am going to go check and see if it says anything anways.

I just checked the code and the filter. I always assumed that in order to throw a code you had to have a light. I had no light and I checked my ECU. Which was a first for me and it threw a code 6 ECT sensor. or atleast I did it like the write up says and it beeped 6 times (still beeped after unconnected jumper but i guess thats cause I didn't reset it?)

And I took off bottom half of CAI and it is still acting the same way.

Please keep the ideas coming.

ect is your coolant temp sensor... how are you getting a code if there is no check engine light??
sounds like ignition or timing problem to me.

I don't know how i got the code. I have never checked my codes before. I did what the write up said. I am not too worried about the ECT because thats probally been there since i got swap (year ago) and not running hot and no problems warming up.

I read on clubcivic some guy had same problem, so it could possibly be tps sensor, throttle body sensor or something with the dizzy. But if I am not throwing codes then could it be those sensors?

I may have to resort to getting a shop to fix it up, but that defeats the purpose of trying to learn. I want to fix myself. I just lack the knowledge.

Back