1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help putting head together

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by cjernign, May 21, 2009.

1. cjernign

cjernign New Member

dumb question, but i just got my head and block cleaned and had a valve job done. i didnt have the shop put the head back together and was wandering what kind if any oil or grease i should use when putting the valveseats and seals in? any help would be great. thanks

2. Honda20000

Honda20000 New Member

Well you should not put any lube between machined surfaces like between the valve seats and the cylinder head. The layer of lubricant acts as a bushing affecting the clearance. It may also, in time, cause the seats to come loose. Regular old engine oil works just fine on things like the seals. Lubriplate is good also.

3. cjernign

cjernign New Member

thanks for the info. thats exactly what i needed to kmow

4. D16SiHatch

D16SiHatch New Member

yep, just a dab of engine oil will do. now for the cam caps and cam itself, be liberal with the super thick engine assembly lube lol.

5. 89' Project Civic

89' Project Civic d16a6/d16y8 "mini-me"

Also, check for clearances in the cam journals for oil clearance. You have to use plastiguage. If you do not do this you may wreck your camshaft and be replacing it soon due to oil starvation.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted