Need Help Removing Small Scracthes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DoubleShifta

Ok I need advice if I should use touch up paint to remove the minor scratches my car has. It is a 2001 honda civic ex, can anyone tell me if they have ever use touch up paint to cover the dents or scratches? if so how did it turn out? do you have any advice for me? I really dont feel like paying hundreds to get all the tiny dents and scratches fixed. BTW the color of my car is black

get touch up pens. They are special markers that allow you to put very thin coats of paint on scratches. Normal touch up paint looks like shit because it gets all globby.

I would take it to a body shop and ask if they can be buffed out first before I even thought about touch up paint. Touch up paint hardly ever works out that well.

:werd:

touch up paint is a last resort. It's more to stop rust in rock chips than to be pretty. If done well, it can be OK, but most people don't know how.

As for the scratches. How deep are they? If they penetrate through the paint layer, then yes you'll need touch up or repaint. If they do not completely go through, then wetsanding and buffing can be done. For minor scratches, you could probably get by with just a decent buffing and some wax.

If you have no idea what I just said, then take it to a body shop, or use colored wax. :)

depending on how deep the scratches are, you can usually wax or buff them out. as the others have said, i wouldnt use touch-up paint unless it was a last resort.

on a side note...i would never use touch-up paint period. im more of a primer guy :)

i have some scratches that i need the local dealer to dobut hes trying to cha rge me hundreds for the little ones. the little on es might be long scratches but they are not deep, just a lil bit ofthe paint came off and now is howing silver part of the car? is the color car wax permenant?

Originally posted by DoubleShifta@May 28 2004, 11:57 AM
i have some scratches that i need the local dealer to dobut hes trying to cha rge me hundreds for the little ones. the little on es might be long scratches but they are not deep, just a lil bit ofthe paint came off and now is howing silver part of the car? is the color car wax permenant?

The reason the body shop is charging you so much is probably for refinishing the whole door and feathering out the chips and scratches. Waxes usually last from 2 weeks to a month, the wax i think he is talking about is made by turtle wax and almost any wal-mart or hardware store probably carries it. BUT if you are planning on having those scratches repainted at a body shop I would hold off on waxing it. (Wax & silicones can cause major refinishing problems.)

Oh, and if you do get something refinished at the body shop try to hold off on waxing for atleast a month, the wax can trap solvents in the paint and do several shitty things to it. ;)

Ok I went to autozone and saw a turtle wax polisher that came with a crayon looking thing for big scratches, it is very cheap like less than $10. Im thinking of giving it a try, but before I do I just wanted to know if I do decide to get the scratches repaired in time, would it really affect fixing the scratches at a body shop?

either im really high or what you wrote is hard to understand. can you clarify your question?

I think he's asking if he can crayon the scratches and use a cheap ass buffer to get by before going in to have the scratches repaired.

If the scratches are not deep, then repair them yourself.

Do not use one of those MVP polishers with two handles at the top. Biggest waste of money EVAR!!!!!

Craftsman makes a cheap sander/polisher for around $60. A paint shop will carry real buffing pads, for around $15 a piece. The different grits of polishing compound will be about $10 a piece.

So, for a polisher, two pads, and two grits, you're looking at ~$110. Polisher, one pad, one grit, ~$85. Turtle wax rubbing compound, wax, and one helluva greasy elbow, ~$15.

You need to decide how much you want to spend, and how nice you want it.

If you are:
  • fucking cheap. Wax and buffing compound.
  • not too fucking cheap, but kinda broke. Polisher, pad, one decent polishing compound, and wax.
  • I get paid every two weeks. Polisher, two pads, two grits, wax.
  • I just got my income tax back. Take it to the shop dude.

I need it cheap... I saw a polisher by turtle wax at auto zone for 8 bucks. It comes with crayon looking thing for black cars only.. is it possible to use that turtle polish..? by itself? would I need to do anything else after polishing?
isnt polishing like waxing?? if not whats the difference?
do i have to polish then wax? or wax than polish?

P.S. the directions say I can use a 100% cotton towel

polish,then wax to protect your polish.cloth baby diapers make great polish and wax rags.

any good body shop will prepare your car properly before repainting by using deglosser or denatured alcohol to remove contaminates so dont worry about that unless you will be getting some sort of "deal" on the painting or a non-reputable shop.

Originally posted by tab@May 31 2004, 06:45 PM
If you are:
  • fucking cheap. Wax and buffing compound.
  • not too fucking cheap, but kinda broke. Polisher, pad, one decent polishing compound, and wax.
  • I get paid every two weeks. Polisher, two pads, two grits, wax.
  • I just got my income tax back. Take it to the shop dude.

or if your like me, say fuck it and spray primer over it. primer cures all :)

Back