need help wiring a/c (race harness)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hawiianEK

how's it going, first off, I've tried searching multiple forums and tried looking at wiring diagrams all with no luck.
i have a 97 ek hatch with a b18c swap with a Jackson racing wire harness n sub harness. the harness didn't come with a/c wired into it.
i can jump the compressor n it will come on n blow cold but i cant get it to work properly off the a/c button and with the compressor going off and on the way it should.
i could wire in a switch but i want it to work properly.
i have tried wiring a couple wires from the sub harness to the ecu with no luck.
i can get more detailed as too what i did if needed, im hoping someone knows exactly what wires I'm supposed wire in.
i have the wiring daigrams but following them i have had no luck.
the car is obd1
any help would be really apreciated
thanks

Welcome to the site.

I've never heard of JR making wiring harness or 'race harnesses'. Not sure that's a thing? could be, i don't know. 25 years in the sport, never heard of it.

is it possible you just need something like this to hook it up?

somthing went wrong with my last post, so ill try again.
i called jackspania and they said its a race harness and there was no a/c wired into it.
the car did have a/c before with the d16 so im pretty sure i have that climate control wire.
the wires from the compressor n dryer pressure switch run to the fuse box under the hood. looks like there is two spots on the ecu for wires for a/c compresor and the a/c switch. i found two wires that come from the fuse box n i tried to pin them into the ecu and it didnt work..
i tried to post pics of the wiring diagram on here so i could explain a little better but i was not able to get the pics to upload.

you need 5 or 10 posts to have attachment rights i believe.

ok, so you have something like this:
which appears to be a word-for-word rip off of the rywire website... but anyway...

tucked harness. only the required ends. so, no a/c and other misc stuff isn't there any more.

So, your car should still have the wiring from the ecu out to the cannon plug, unless you removed the cannon plug too on the shock tower.
A15 on obd1 ecu should be the a/c clutch relay and B5 is the AC Switch and that should be out there to the cannon plugs. From there, you'd need to wire from the cannon plug to the a/c compressor itself to complete the circuit.

It sounds like you were trying to re-pin the ecu, which probably doesn't need to be done.... just a guess based on what you're saying.

yes that is what i have, yeah its totally a rywire copy cat. but it was alot cheaper.
i did a full wire tuck so the under hood fuse box is now under the dash. when you refer to the cannon plug what plug is that exactly?
i wasnt trying to repin the ecu, i tried to add wires into a15 and b5. the plug from the a/c compressor is still there which runs along the rad support and into the inner fender n i think enter the car somewhere behind the fender. which i havnt moved seems like the stock location. ill try to go snap some pics right now and up load them.

you need 5 or 10 posts to have attachment rights i believe.

ok, so you have something like this:
which appears to be a word-for-word rip off of the rywire website... but anyway...

tucked harness. only the required ends. so, no a/c and other misc stuff isn't there any more.

So, your car should still have the wiring from the ecu out to the cannon plug, unless you removed the cannon plug too on the shock tower.
A15 on obd1 ecu should be the a/c clutch relay and B5 is the AC Switch and that should be out there to the cannon plugs. From there, you'd need to wire from the cannon plug to the a/c compressor itself to complete the circuit.

It sounds like you were trying to re-pin the ecu, which probably doesn't need to be done.... just a guess based on what you're saying.

here are some pics
IMG_0038.jpg
IMG_0040.jpg

the wires im holding go to the car i thougth this was where the compressor wire and a/c switch are connected too but idk if im wrong.
the other side of it goes to the subharness which is model specific then plugs into the main wire harness
IMG_0047.jpg

1 is the wires comiing from the cars wiring im not sure if this wire was under the hood or in the car .
2. is the wires from the subharness
3 these are the two wires that i concluded were the ones that needed to be wired into thr ecu at a15 and b5
which im pretty sure i tried n had no luck or maybe i was afraid to try in the case if i was wrong imess up my ecu. cant remember when i worked on this last was a couple months ago.
also excuse the wring mess there is alot going on in that small area with the COP, water meth, and underdash fuse box all in this tight area so it looks rather clutered n messy.
IMG_0049.jpg
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

i know the boost controler needs to be moved n need a plug for the firewall still n another short filter lo
l
image2.jpeg
these are the plugs one from the compressor and the other from the car that plugs to compressor.

really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me out

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    569.1 KB · Views: 79
yes that is what i have, yeah its totally a rywire copy cat. but it was alot cheaper.
i did a full wire tuck so the under hood fuse box is now under the dash. when you refer to the cannon plug what plug is that exactly?
i wasnt trying to repin the ecu, i tried to add wires into a15 and b5. the plug from the a/c compressor is still there which runs along the rad support and into the inner fender n i think enter the car somewhere behind the fender. which i havnt moved seems like the stock location. ill try to go snap some pics right now and up load them.
Cannon plugs are just the connectors between the ecu-> to bay and bay-> engine.

look like this:
3-jpg.28187

usually on the shock tower or near by. with your tuck,, could be anywhere or completely removed. hard to say.

really hard to try to trace this out over the internet...

also, not sure how you'll get the a/c fan in there with the turbo like that.

would it not go to the under dash fuse box then to the ecu?
my condenser is in front of the rad suport there is plenty room for a slim fan. then im also gonna put a fan in front of the radiator connected to the condenser on that side. to give the condenser more air flow and the radiator.
the air has too go threw my intercooler then threw the condener too finally get to the radiator.
so ill have two fans on the condeser that spands the entire radiator support. cars gonna have some craazy cold a/c
i dont recall having those plugs thre is one on the drivers side. i thought the wires all just ran into the under dash fuse box
so basically if i run a wire from the a/c switch to b5 and run a wire from the condensor plug to a15 do you think that will run the a/c properly?

would it not go to the under dash fuse box then to the ecu?
my condenser is in front of the rad suport there is plenty room for a slim fan. then im also gonna put a fan in front of the radiator connected to the condenser on that side. to give the condenser more air flow and the radiator.
the air has too go threw my intercooler then threw the condener too finally get to the radiator.
so ill have two fans on the condeser that spands the entire radiator support. cars gonna have some craazy cold a/c
i dont recall having those plugs thre is one on the drivers side. i thought the wires all just ran into the under dash fuse box
so basically if i run a wire from the a/c switch to b5 and run a wire from the condensor plug to a15 do you think that will run the a/c properly?
hey men u finally make work u ac with the tucked harnes? i have the same problem

Back