Need help with an intake problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vinc3h

First off, let me say im sorry if this is in the wrong section, please move it as you see fit... I'm not much of a motor guy so i have no clue as to the appropriate sections...

I have a, what i believe to be a 1997 engine i picked up to replace an engine. The car i'm putting it in is a 1996. I have the engines out ready to swap part, put a new head gasket on it and got it torqued down and all and was getting ready to put the intake back on and noticed a few difference's... One being, the intake on the old motor i need to use because the intake on the 97' has the throttle or some crap in a different location

I don't know what type of motors or anything, first vehicle i have really gotten dirty with... i'm hoping i didn't fuck myself over and get a motor that is incompatible with my car... had some guy helping me who seemed pretty knowledgeable for the most part..

Refer to pics below:

This is the old head... im using the intake off of this one.
oldheadintake.jpg

Trying to put it onto this one,
newheadintake.jpg

that section on the right isnt even there, and one of the holes on the right is missing. What would any of you suggest? I really don't want to go pull another head or motor after doing all the works i've already done. (if i can even manage to find another decent one)

Is there any way i can avoid that? the top hole on the right of the gasket doesnt go into the intake, but i am also missing that peice on the right? will there be any wiring or hose problems or anything? It looks to me like it wont be a problem... but i want to make sure. :(

sorry that im so new at this or if i am using the wrong names for things. :/

heres the corresponding section of the intake.
oakland2013012300053.jpg

edit: that bottom hole on the right is just a black mark, there is no hole, will i be okay to use this intake?

If anyone needs more pics just let me know, hoping to get back to work on this sometime today so i can get it all finished up.

get the engine stamp code off the block... is it a d16? D17? this would help us in weather or not ya fucked or not

From what i can see, it Looks like you had a d16y8 head, and bought a d16y7 engine.
Is your car an ex?
If it is an ex, you will get a check engine light from the d16y7's lack of a vtec solenoid, and knock sensor if you use your d16y8 ecu (engine computer).

From what i can see, it Looks like you had a d16y8 head, and bought a d16y7 engine.
Is your car an ex?
If it is an ex, you will get a check engine light from the d16y7's lack of a vtec solenoid, and knock sensor if you use your d16y8 ecu (engine computer).

From what i understand the car is an EX, vtec engine (long as its what was originally in the car)

Ill have a look tommorrow and post updates for you. From what i read elsewhere, it should all be inter changable (i just wont have the solenoid, and will have the check engine light on cuz of it).

i bought the block and head from a yard, and am using both so they should be the same id imagine? (Long as the person who had it previously used the corresponding head and block)

but i want to use the intake of the old head that i pulled outta the v-tec EX.

i was just unsure about that extra hole on my old head (which doesnt go into the intake that was on it anyway but i imagine it should if its there?)

Also, i dont know exactly where the knock sensor is, but in about the middle (horizontal) it has a spot for a sensor on both engines?

Like i said i will look tomorrow when im back home and check the engine stamp code so you guys can give me more accurate info. Thanks for the responses! Any more info you can give me before i can get to the block to see what they are exactly, let me know!

oh, i didnt even think of it either, but with putting this engine in a car with an ecu for a different block and head, will i run into any major problems? or anything that would impair functionality of the vehicle or damage it?

The y7 block has a hole for the knock sensor, you have to tap the threads into it though.
Everything else should be fine besides the vtec check engine light.
As far as the black circle, I think the y8 heads had the egr passage inside the head, but never used it.

For the most part it should run fine. The ignition timing and fuel might be off a little bit because of the difference in cam profiles, but the ecu should be able to cope with it.

For the most part it should run fine. The ignition timing and fuel might be off a little bit because of the difference in cam profiles, but the ecu should be able to cope with it.

Alright thanks, ill post what exactly it is tommorrow sometime so i can be sure tho just in case... want to triple check because someone else said they looked at it while i wasnt here and looked it up and said it wouldnt work but i don't trust his knowledge, you guys have been helpful, and thanks again!

Head and block out of my car...
Block: D16Y8 (V-tec from what you guys say)
(1546553)

Head: P2J-4 and a 96 on the opposite side.
(idk if these numbers are relevant or helpful)

-----------------------------------------------

Head and block im trying to put in...
Block: D16Y7
(2514997)

Head: P2A-A and a 96 on the opposite side.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm also curious about the years, where i find them on both the head and block of both engines... or can you guys tell me with the numbers i have provided?

One more thing... i noticed a few little edges with like, yellow looking sorta rings sticking out past where the head and block connect... its not much, and i imagine that would be a problem, but i wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt sort of situation..? ill post a pic of it later as well .. It was a gasket i bought for the old head and block i took out of the car, i used it on the new one. Who knows if it was even the right one to buy in the first place though... i feel lost, like i totally fucked myself with this thing by trusting other people around me.

If i am understanding you right, the little yellow rings are the rivets holding the multi layered head gasket together... Nothing to worry about...

If i am understanding you right, the little yellow rings are the rivets holding the multi layered head gasket together... Nothing to worry about...

Alright, yeah thats it, im new to pretty much all of this and have learned a little but it was worrying me cuz ive had so many other problems already with this car. I just kind of assumed the whole thing should sit inbetween the head and block :/

So according to the info i gave, i should go ahead with putting everything back together?

yes just may have a check engine light i was making sure ya didnt get a z6 intake manifold or something

Be sure and post up the results for the next guy! :)

Back