Need Help With B18a1 OBD0 Engine Into 96 Honda Civic EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CSHornet60

Hello Everyone. I just blew my stock engine. All i have left is a b18a1 0bd0 engine. I want to put it in until i can pay for a GSR engine. I know its illegal but... I was wondering if anyone could help me a With B18a1 OBD0 Engine Into 96 Honda Civic EX Swap. Should I convert the motor to OBD2? Whats the easiest route? What all should i change? This is only a temporary fix so i can get to work. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a 96 civic ex... I converted to a b16a SiRII and had a whole obd conversion done... DONT DO IT. It's going to be a huge pain in the ass for you to convert to obd0 and then convert back to obd1 or obd2a/b. Sell the b18a for 500 bucks and buy a y8 long block untill you can afford your gsr.

skillz2k5 said:
I have a 96 civic ex... I converted to a b16a SiRII and had a whole obd conversion done... DONT DO IT. It's going to be a huge pain in the ass for you to convert to obd0 and then convert back to obd1 or obd2a/b. Sell the b18a for 500 bucks and buy a y8 long block untill you can afford your gsr.

Yah, I wouldn't do it either. If it's an OBD-0 engine, it probably has a cable tranny too. You're gonna have to get the Hasport convertion, plus it is a pain in the arse to wire that to OBD-2... I did the same thing as this guy ^^^ in my 97 EX and it sucked ass. I'd say just get another Y8 also...

or juss change the dizzy fuel rail and injectors from a 96-01 teg ls and u get a obd 2 ls ecu and u can sitch the motor over to obd2 and convert shit

EkCoUpE said:
or juss change the dizzy fuel rail and injectors from a 96-01 teg ls and u get a obd 2 ls ecu and u can sitch the motor over to obd2 and convert shit

....and, either get a whole new hydro tranny or get a hydro-to-cable conversion from Hasport.... and add a whole bunch of sensors that you need for OBD-2 to an OBD-0 engine... Yeah, that sounds WAY better than just getting another OBD-2, D16Y8 long block until he saves up for the GSR.... Nice try.

get a y8. its way cheaper. hell you might be able to make money if sell the b18B.

C'mon now...just swap the dizzy, injectors and rail and ecu and do it right...it's plug and play, man. I just got done swapping a OBD0 Teg motor into my EG and it's WAY EASIER to just swap all that than to spend an assload on a GSR motor and IMHO the B18A1 is more tunable because it's non-vtec. The only thing you'll need is the Hasport hydro-to-cable swap and you're good to go...

bbissell05 said:
C'mon now...just swap the dizzy, injectors and rail and ecu and do it right...it's plug and play, man. I just got done swapping a OBD0 Teg motor into my EG and it's WAY EASIER to just swap all that than to spend an assload on a GSR motor and IMHO the B18A1 is more tunable because it's non-vtec. The only thing you'll need is the Hasport hydro-to-cable swap and you're good to go...

WTF?!?!?!? The required parts he would be looking at would be around 700 bucks if he took his time finding good deals... now a y8 long block can be had for about 300 bucks if you do it right... Oh and btw chief... the obd0 b18a is not even close to being as tunable as any gsr motor...:eek:

skillz2k5 said:
WTF?!?!?!? The required parts he would be looking at would be around 700 bucks if he took his time finding good deals... now a y8 long block can be had for about 300 bucks if you do it right... Oh and btw chief... the obd0 b18a is not even close to being as tunable as any gsr motor...:eek:

I don't know why people keep getting on here and trying to tell this guy that he should put the B18A1 motor in his car.... it's rediculous. And what is that sh!t about a B18A1 is more tunable than a GSR??? Where are people getting this information?

scottp11 said:
I don't know why people keep getting on here and trying to tell this guy that he should put the B18A1 motor in his car.... it's rediculous. And what is that sh!t about a B18A1 is more tunable than a GSR??? Where are people getting this information?

because he already has a b18a1 . he doesnt have the money to buy another. the other option we mentioned was to sell the motor and buy a y8. Even if he does that its still gonna take time to find it. not to mention time to sell his old motor. dont spend money on new shit that you wont need! like the hasport hydro to cable. just get a hydro tranny. we already mentioned all of this in the previous posts.:p:) I dont know about the whole ls being tunable that the gsr. even if it was i would still get the gsr. its a better motor all around whether its tuned or not. IMHO

Taco15 said:
because he already has a b18a1 . he doesnt have the money to buy another. the other option we mentioned was to sell the motor and buy a y8. Even if he does that its still gonna take time to find it. not to mention time to sell his old motor. dont spend money on new shit that you wont need! like the hasport hydro to cable. just get a hydro tranny. we already mentioned all of this in the previous posts.:p:) I dont know about the whole ls being tunable that the gsr. even if it was i would still get the gsr. its a better motor all around whether its tuned or not. IMHO

You said... just get a hydro tranny. For about the same price he could find another Y8. You forgot to mention all the things he's gonna need to convert that engine to OBD-2.... And I just reread his original post, and it says nothing about him not having enough money to buy a Y8 long block. It says: "I want to put it in until i can pay for a GSR engine.", which is gonna cost him about $3,500 bucks.

Either way, the dude is gonna do what he wants to do, but if I were him I would just buy a Y8 to get the car running again, then when I have the funds for the GSR swap it. He could even use the axles, motor mounts, etc... from the B18A1.

were on the same page I agree on the y8 motor. I meant get a hydro tranny for his y8,that is if he buys one. that way he doesnt have to spend money on something hes only gonna get rid of. The money will come from the b18A motor if he sells it.

But like you said he'll do what he wants. And again i agree on getting a single banger for now. with a hydro tranny.

OMFG...not everybody is made of money. If he was going to do it "right" by your book, he should have asked your permission before he bought it...with what he has available, the B18A1 will do him just fine. The Y8 is a good motor, too, if you want the same thing you had...IMO, GSR motors are good motors but vtec is not everything. It's just my $.02 but keep on with the B18A1. It's more work but if you're afraid of work, you shouldn't be doing a motor swap...

Dude, are you serious? How is buying another Y8 long block being made of money??!!! As stated above, he can find one for about $300 bucks. Doing it your way would easily cost him over $700 bucks. Think about what you're gonna write before you start typing...

And as far as "vtec not being all that...." There is a reason a B18B makes 142 hp and a B18C1 is making 170 hp. It's called: VTEC!

Simma down na, bissell. These guys are making very valid points. The quickest, easiest, and CHEAPEST way would be to throw another SOHC in there. Period.

Back