Need Help with Clutch and Flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

My 99 GSR is going into the shop on the 22nd, and I need a new clutch and flywheel before that. I am clueless when it comes to clutch and flywheels. My car is going to be turbo'd and putting down 250hp - 275hp and next year I am going to sleeve the block and shoot for 400hp

What brand clutch and flywheel should I get?
What stage clutch should I buy?
What weight flywheel should I purchase?

Thanks, Dave

just drive stock clutch till your turbo! dont waste your money - replace it for cheap as possible save your money and dump it all into it at once!

I think you missed the point. I am going to turbo it in 2 MONTHS. Afterwards next year I am going to sleeve the block and crank up the boost.

I'll be running a pro-light ACT flywheel with a stage 3 (6 puck copper) cluth from clutch net. Last time i looked clutch net had some good deals on there website.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a h22 swap in my accord that will be turbo in the next couple of months. I'v been looking at ACT, Centerforce, Clutchmaster, and Exedy but, haven't recieved any advice from here yet. I was hoping to get some people who had some of these and would give me some good/bad stories about them. There is a short story in this months "Turbo" magazine on a Evo that had clutch problems and what clutch/flywheels they recomend. Hopefully some people will come forward with thier experiences. :)

I searched it out on HS. I didn't really find much info, so I as well am hoping to get some experienced advice. So far all I have is one of my friends had 2 ACT setups Stage 3 and the clutch wrecked the transmission.

Last week i just finished putting in my exedy stage 1 and fidanza (7-8 lb) flywheel. i really like it and it seems to be very quality. the new flywheel makes my h23 rev a good bit quicker now. i know you'll be needing something that holds more power but i figured if the stage 1 is good, the other stages should be quality as well. here's an auction for a stage 2 and flywheel package. i bought mine from these same guys and they do good business. you might be able to call them and get a more powerful clutch package. hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7959952308&rd=1
this is for a prelude/accord (don't know what car you have) but you can search their store. goodluck

I guess the real question becomes do I need a stage 2 or stage 3? Anyone know?

I just installed an exedy in my teg, that will also soon be boosted. I just got the flywheel resurfaced...the clutch was free, it came with my car. I dont even know if it'll hold up to a lot of boost but I enjoy it anyway.

exedy is the dest...imo.....they have a dedicated factory in japan and the are reasonably priced........clutch city is the best place to buy exedy they have clutch/flywheel combos...they are an ebay store

>8 or 9 low boost, stage 2
10< stage 3 etc - they give the torque ratings on acts page - their packages go for hp ratings etc !

Cool thats good info, I will go stage 3 then. I am starts at 250 - 275 but I wanna crank it up after I sleeve the block.

Exedy SUCKS! I ran an exedy stage 2 clutch in my 96 civc (three puck ceramic) and it blew up after like 30 days. Yes I know how to drive my car and no I didn't blow it up b/c I'm a tard. I had my stock clutch for almost a year and it ran fine and I finally decided to upgrade and that thing blew up so I ended up putting my stock shit back in. Not to mention I bought the thing from Nopi so I know it wasn't some cheese dick ebay deal. My next clutch will be ACT no doubt.

Originally posted by g24jr@Apr 19 2005, 02:43 AM
get one of them new 50 LB flywheels made by fatboy flywheels
<------Jim Bob :thumbsup:
[post=488591]Quoted post[/post]​

wtf mate?
anyhow i would strongly reccomend bying a clutchnet clutch. they are bbuy far the best clutch on the marlet for the money. right now they have a deal going (not sure if for your car) for a cuople different hnda clutches in stage 3 for like 250 dollars. my brother has the stage 3 in his built ls motor and he loves it. Its a six puck sprung hub. this is my advice on what to go with. Otherwise if you want a really good clutch and dont mind spending a shitload i would go with act

Back