NEED help with ls/vtec....B18A1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hondatuner88

OK Im in the process of building an ls/vtec for my 94 hatch (that didn't sell)...So I have a few questions. I plan to run a stock ls crank and USDM type R pistons...My question is what rods would I need to use? I wanted to keep a honda rod in there because its going to be all motor. Can I evens use this block in a 92-95 hatchback?? What mounts do I need?? Headstuds for what block?? LS or GSR or what?? Can someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee help me...Ive searched and searched! Thanks

your using an LS crank so you have to use LS rods make sure you get arp rod bolts too because the LS rods weren't made to rev as high as a vtec head. you need to get gsr head studs. you'll need a b series mount kit, shift linkage, and axels and other random shit just make sure you know what your getting into because you sound a little confused

ok thanks...yeah i got a lil bit out of it...But if i use LS rods...Can they be machined to fit CTR pistions? I know like 1mm has to be taken off each side of the rod and just want to make sure that they will work...Also is the best ls/vtec kit the golden eagle one? If not which one? And can I use the cam gear side mount off my Z6?? Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Quoted post[/post]]
ok thanks...yeah i got a lil bit out of it...But if i use LS rods...Can they be machined to fit CTR pistions? I know like 1mm has to be taken off each side of the rod and just want to make sure that they will work...Also is the best ls/vtec kit the golden eagle one? If not which one? And can I use the cam gear side mount off my Z6?? Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Here is a good tech. atricle that may answer some of your questions.

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33559

With the golden eagle ls/vtec kit...Do I still need to get the head machined for dowel pins? I thought I read somewhere that it dont need any machining?? And also I need to know...Im not gonna have my head back for 3 months, I have an LS head that I could use to get the motor running And broken in...I wanted to know if I run CTR pistons, LS rods, Can I use the LS head untill I get my built B16 head back?? Will they hit the head?? Or what pistons can I use that will work with the LS head and a B16 head?? Anyone? Thanks to all!!

Quoted post[/post]]
With the golden eagle ls/vtec kit...Do I still need to get the head machined for dowel pins? I thought I read somewhere that it dont need any machining?? And also I need to know...Im not gonna have my head back for 3 months, I have an LS head that I could use to get the motor running And broken in...I wanted to know if I run CTR pistons, LS rods, Can I use the LS head untill I get my built B16 head back?? Will they hit the head?? Or what pistons can I use that will work with the LS head and a B16 head?? Anyone? Thanks to all!!
why wouldnt the head fit, its an ls block.
yes, youc an use hte ls head w/ctr's
no, theres no maching for the GE kit AT ALL. it comes with stepped dowel pins to avoid machining.
why dont you wait til youg et the head back to install/break in the engine?

I didnt know if the CTR pistons would hit the valves...Just wanted to check things out before I go buying things this weekend...But thanks again for all your help guys!! And do I need to get main studs or will new bollts be fine? And would B16 main studs fit the ls block? Thanks again!

just use LS main cap bolts don't use regular bolts they will stretch under pressure. and I have no clue about b16 bolts but I am saying no just use the ones meant for your block. definately upgrade those rod bolts while your in there :)

Back