Need Help With my 90 Crx 1.5l HF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cadillac562

Okay i bought my car in a police auction about a month ago with some fender and hood damaged. I am into bodywork so thats all done with. Now im not into engines that much so I have no clue howto start upgrading the engine . I am limited in money and I am not looking on swaping the engine anytime soon. Any recomondations on easy upgrades at low cost . Is my engine capable of standing a turbo any turbo. It has 175,000 miles on it. Please Help I am in a tight budget.

If you're on a tight budget, you're better off putting a D16A6 in there before even thinking about a turbo setup.

lets just say i am not planing to make a upgrade like that is it possible to add a turbo to that motor with the miles it has and if not what other things do you recommend

Yes, it's definitely possible- but you'll spend more money doing that and get the same (if not less) power than if you just dropped in a D16A6.

I have a 1990 CRX HF also. I am wanting to convert mine to a DOHC. If i understand correctly I can get pretty much everything I need from a wrecked newer model civic DOHC. Everything I have read leads me to believe that if you do the same you won't regret it.

Now im not into engines that much so I have no clue howto start upgrading the engine . .

pay attention guys... the two people doing posts about their hf's are giving signs of not being mechanics. as i posted in the other post, i advise anyone who is 'not into engines that much' to start off slow and easy, unless you plan to pay someone to do it for you. things to do before and engine transplant that do not affect a future transplant:

- air filter
- cat-back exhaust
- suspension
- maybe a header will fit your future swap (will it work on all d-blocks?)

make the car fun to drive before you get in too deep...

lets just say i am not planing to make a upgrade like that is it possible to add a turbo to that motor with the miles it has and if not what other things do you recommend

Um, do you have any idea how much a complete turbo setup costs? If you don't have the money to drop in a dual-cam D-Series, then you DON'T have enough money to do a proper turbo setup.

At the very minimum, assembling a kit from used junkyard parts plus adding some type of engine management and some tuning, you're looking at a grand at the very least. If you want an off the shelf pre-assembled turbo kit then you're looking at more like 2 or 3 grand.

With that many miles on the motor I'd look towards upgrading that first, rather than blowing a couple grand on a turbo setup which might end up blowing your high-mileage motor anyway.

This is the motor they're suggesting to you: Tiger Japanese Auto Parts LTD - ZC DOHC Engine only Honda Civic & CRX 92-95

Is that within your budget? What exactly is your budget here? $100? $500? $1,000? Let us know how much money you have to spend on this and we'll let you know what you can realistically accomplish.

Last edited:
what about a mini me swap ? if you want you could put the sohc v-tec head on you stock block. or you could put to gether a home made turbo kit for around a grand. if you shop around and buy used parts its not to hard. if you go the mini me way let me know i have a d16z6 head on ebay ill send you the link

I wouldn't call myself a mechanic, but I can turn a wrench. don't sell some one short for asking questions. Myself I am used to working on Chevy small Block engines, and they are VERRY different ( in mechanics ) but still quite simmular, They both use pluge to ignite...... My point is be casual to the other guy. None of us knows what the others are capable in doing ( especually by what they say on a forum ).

Back