need help with my B16A swap...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok... i a similar question in the ecu and electronic forum. I did a B16A swap into my 98 EX which is OBD2... i am assuming the motor is OBD2 as well, but lately i am having some doubts... i got the motor from this guy online... but the guage cluster doesn't work and i am having a few problem like vtec is not engaging and some fuel problems... whats the differnce between the SIR II motor that came in the 92-95 civic and the one for 92-00????? cause i am really hoping that this is just a stupid problem that can easily be fixed rather than the motor being OBD 1 and me trying to put that into a OBD2 car... someone please help me with this :(

on HMO, they list the B16A SiR II motor from 92-00 and from 92-95... maybe i am just a retard... but i am not sure about the ECU cause it is not marked... it's smaller like the 99-00 Si ECU's... and... on the ECU the plugs matched up, but there is one empty slot and i don't know if something goes there or what... this whole wiring harness and ecu has me totally comfusedand if i have the wrong ecu, would the car still run or what... i just need a lot of help with this...

empty spot on obd2 ecu's is for an auto transmission.

The reason they list the SiRII as 92-00 is because SiRII is a trim level, like DX, VX, Si, EX, etc....It does not designate year, or OBD II.

92-95 = OBD I
96-98 = OBD II
99+ = OBD IIb

You can tell what year your motor is by looking at the head, on the leftish side of the front, there is a series of small circles. The one on the far left is the date the motor was made. The ECU should be a P30 if it is a 96-98, and it will have four inputs for the wiring.

stackof4ecus.jpg

OBD IIb (left 3 plugs used)
OBD II ECU
OBD I ECU
OBD 0 (JDM PR3 and PWO)

92b16vx.... i think you may be on to something here... i pulled the ecu out and compared it to the pics you send me, and the ecu is an OBD2b and you said on that one the first 3 plugs should be used and the 4 has no pins, but i am not using the first hole, just the second 2... so what does all of this mean???

i wish they made a book called b16a for dummies :(

the series of small circles have numbers, but they are all sideways and shit... they read... 8/9(that one is upside-down), 0/4, 1/0, /8... and on the right the head says PR3-1... please tell me what this means... and the harness to the ecu only have 3 plugs... gray and blue go into the ecu and the green one connect to another green onebut not on the ecu...

8/9 is upside down? So it is 6/8? :p Probably a 98. I haven't done a 96-98, so I am not familiar with what color plugs go where, but that sounds like it should be working, what engine harness did you use?

when i got the motor he said the harness was from a 2000 civic si... if there's 3 plugs on the ECU, why i am only using 2 of them..? is the other one for an automatic tranny???

No, the fourth one maybe, but you should still be using three.

Back