need help with paint/clear coat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

benvallack

Hiya,

I have been trying to fix a bit of rust coming through on my civic bonnet. This is what I have done so far.

1. Scraped out rust, wire-brushed it down to solid surface.
2. Applied KURUST which kills rust. (Put it on and it turns black when it neutralizes rust or something like that)
3. Smoothed the area with body filler, sanded it.
4. Applied 3 coats of primer over the area from an aerosol can. (didn't sand it)
5. Applied several coats of paint, it looked dull and not reflective but fairly smooth. Paint also from aerosol. (didn't sand or polish this)
6. Applied few layers of clear coat, (aerosol) which is where I am at now.

The surface of the clear coat looks like orange peel which i believe is the term for this, I have read a few of the posts here already but need bit more help. Do I need to sand the area with wet and dry (1000 grit?) and then polish it? If so what do I polish it with? I am thinking of using a drill-bit type disc polisher because I ended up covering half the bonnet so quite a big area. Do I need to use some sort of polishing paste? Or is my problem much worse than I was hoping and should I have been sanding the primer and paint coats? If so can I remedy the problem by smoothing the clear coat or do I need to sand off the whole lot and start again. Actually, I can't afford to do this, I will just do my best on the clear coat, but for future reference I would like to know if I should have sanded the primer/paint!

Sorry for all the stupid questions -- this is the first time I have done something like this and I have no idea what I'm doing! Thanks very much!

Ben

---------

Discuss Advanced Driving at SafeDrivingTips.co.uk

Oh.

Lol, well its somewhat too late - what should I have used? For future reference.

I still need help in my current situation though so any advice would be gratefully accepted!

wet sand with 1500 grit wet on a soft block till it is smooth then use rubbing compound and glazing compound to shine it up.

If you don't care too much, aerosol can be alright, using quality stuff.

However, if you want anything near professional quality, you'll have to learn how to paint using the proper tools, and techniques. I suggest you look through this section for a while, and decide if this is a skill that you wish to aquire.

I am happy to say that I did. I made the choice on my first paintjob, that it was more important, and cheaper, to learn. It cost me close to $1000, for paint, compressor, air water seperator, spray gun, primer, paint, etc on the first time. Now, it only costs me $100-$300. <<<<<That is unless you want a fancy trademark color or something out of the ordinary.

You want a cheap paintjob, scrub down the car yourself and take it to maaco.

You want a good paintjob for cheap, learn. You will fuck up, just accept it. :)

Originally posted by tylonalsnifnfool@May 21 2004, 01:44 PM
wet sand with 1500 grit wet on a soft block till it is smooth then use rubbing compound and glazing compound to shine it up.

Good advice, thank you!

I have got it really shinny now. Its not as shinny as I would really like but then there is a limit to how long I am willing to spend on it! Its already taken up 3 days that I should have spent working! Anyway, I could have got it smoother if I spent more time on it so it seems to be a fairly good way of doing it on the cheap.

One problem though - where the clear coat stops and the original coat carries on there is a noticeable edge that I can't seem to smooth out. If I sand/polish w/compound the edge just recedes. Anything I should be doing here?

Thanks again.

you will not get rid of that edge, it is physically not possible with what you used for apint and what you are yusing for a means to buff. if you did not want that edge you should have cleared the whole panel. also if that wasnt a nonsandable primer you used than def expect some chipping and flaking, because sanding the primer is what actually makes the paint adhere to it.

Back