need helping with wireless router

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

INJEN78

HS LEGEND
im trying to setup my old wireless router.ive tried router log in and all that stuff.pretty much all i want to do is password protect my internet,anyway someone on here has information that will help? its a netgear WPN824V3

What make and model of router is it? Have you tried 192.168.1.1?

Most routers have a "Reset" button, that's usually accessed with a straightened paper clip though a small hole. That's usually a good place to start.

WPN824v3

Boy I feel like an ass you did list the make and model but it looks like others have gotten you links to the manuals and such already. Any luck with it thus far?

I gather by what you said that is working but you want to secure your wireless signal.
starting from the begining .
Use a hard wired PC. this will allow you to stay connected to the router info pages once you apply the wireless security. If useing a wireless device you will have to stop and reconfigure the device with the same settings that you set up in the security of router before you can configure any other options in the router.

1. determine the address of your router.
Click on start, then click run. After you get the run command box, type CMD in the available fireld. this will bring up the command prompt.
in the command promt type: IPCONFIG
This will give you your ip address and default gateway. the device factory setting should have your default gateway as 192.168.1.1
Your default gateway is the address of your router. with this info go to step 2.

2. open internet browser and type 1 of the 3 into the address bar like you would an internet page:
www.routerlogin.com
www.routerlogin.net

This should bring up your routers login page.
The default login info Username: admin , Password: password.
If you have previously changed this use your info.
If you changed it and cannot access it you can restore it to factory setting. instructions and video at this link.
Reset and Restore the NETGEAR device to Factory Default Settings.

3. once logged in to the router. Select Wireless settings from menu.
Here you should see:
Name(SSID):
Region:
Channel:
Mode:
and Security options with multiple choice.
The default SSID is NETGEAR, this will work but if you have a close neighbor with a netgear router they may conflict. I always recommend changing the SSID to something unique but not your Name. For the paraniod people out there this will broadcast your name to the neighbors or people passing by...lol Hope a bit of humor is ok.
Region: Where you live
Channel: should have Auto, 1-11. any of these are ok.
Mode: Auto 108 mbs.
as far as Security Options......
I have found that if you are a gamer (PC or console) the best option to run is:
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES].
I run at least 5 pc's and 3 PS3's on my network and have no issues.
Mine also has a spot to input my own passphrase. this is easier than trying to remember a long encrypted passphrase.

Click apply.

you now have a secure wireless network.

If you want further security to keep out the local teenage hackers and security geeks you can set up a wireless access list by mac address in your router.

If you want instructions on this let me know. I also found the full manual on your device.
http://documentation.netgear.com/wpn824v3/enu/202-10267-01/pdfs/FullManual.pdf

Hope this info helps.

this is what ive been trying.i can get to step 2 with no issues.as soon as i go to the router login page it asks for the username and password.i enter it the prompt goes away for a second then pops right back up.and the page just stays loading.it wont let me access anything else.ive even tried resetting the router.

try using another browser. your pc may not be accepting cookies or something correctly.

^ That's always nice isn't it! :thumbsup: Routers are among the worst battles I've fought with computers.

Last edited:
Glad we could help. Hopefully I will get some advise on my thread soon. Happy secured wireless surfing INJEN78.

Back