Need house plumbing help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

isn't that bad for mr pipe?

Don't overdo it. By that I mean don't dump six bottles of the stuff down the drain. You'll also want to rinse it down REAL good when you're done. My buddy ran some down the pipes of a house from the 50's and there were no bad effects besides the rank smell of burning hair while it did it's job. Just use enough to dispatch of the clog.

Update

went to Home Depot and purchased a slightly beefier snake, took back cousin's ten dollar special

snaked the shit out of the drain, the snake actually made it past the main catch in the backyard

two hours later it was stopped up again :-(

this is fucking bullshit because if a metal cable can pass through it water should be able too

I'm dynamiting the bathroom at lunch

First off, quite using liquid plumber and all those similar products. If a snake won't get it than liquid plumber won't. Your old iron pipes are going to rot out in no time flat. What it sounds like is a vent problem. If you snaked the drain all the way to the back yard than it's more than likely not a clog. Is the bathroom sink the only thing that is having trouble draining? I'll try and get this figured out for you. Ive done a lot of plumbing, I'll try and help you get this figured out.

I searched around online but couldn't find it, but they do make a vent cap for pvc lines. It's 1 1/2 inch pvc and it vents the line. Where the drain from the sink (s-trap) goes into the line that connects to the waste pipe you put a T fitting. On the open end of the T fitting (the top) is where the vent cap goes.

I got a PM on this so I figured I would update

I took back my cousins borrowed snake and went to Home Depot to pick up a slightly beefier model

beef snake in hand.... no pun intended, I returned home and snaked the drain twice more using a scrubbing action on the snake as I was removing it from the drain.

Then I went to the closet and got a coat hanger, bending it inly a long L formation, like a hook except with no curl

using this I was able to guide the snake into the vent, and proceeded to snake the vent a good 20ft up, it should have cleared the roof, it didn't, but whereever it went it worked as now it drains like a champ and has for days

cameron wins

who sent you this PM?
they deserve rep

did you get the snake with the metal case from home depot?
i had one of the loose ones that suck and bought the metal encased one and love it

god damn women and their long hair

ballin huh?
i think my metal deal was $20-ish
with a handle and a swiveling handle for turning

and i bought a strainer deal so i haven't even had to use the snake since then

so you think it was a drain clog? or you think the vent was fucked?
did you find anything on the snake after you did this? anything like bees nest residue or similar?

nada

my working theory is that a backup at some point caused build up in the vent or something similar

my standing policy for the next full year will be to snake everything I open, just as preventive maintenance...

so you're living with this chick now right?
and you're not married yet?

is this the one that her family was super religious?

Back