Need INFO ASAP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lude68

Ok guys, got a lil problem! I just finished installing my injectors and i took it around the block. Well, i was almost home and i hadnt taken it above 4 yet so i was like ..well lets see how high it will go now and i get to 4.5 rpm(where my vtec engages) and the car jumped and just started to role. Well, i came to a stop and then my panal lit up like my engine cut off. And now it wont even start back up and i cant hear anything(like in the engine) to tell if it detonated. Like i said the whole car just kinda jumped. Please give me any kind of information as to what could have happened or what i need to do! Thanks!

well can anyone tell me what COULD have happened?

fuck i hope not! but its a good start! ill try that 1st thing in the mornin. any other suggestions?

that' what it sounds like to me, hope fully you didn't bend any valves trying to start it back up

damn, i didnt even think about that but now it seems about right....could be the prob afterall....hope not though

i dont understand why it would do it now, b/c it was only at 4.5 rpm...and its been at much much higher rpm..hopefully it didnt do anything too bad since the rpm wasnt that high...oh well...ill see in the morning!

snaped the timing belt of hydro locked the motor. take plugs out and try to crank it but first unplug fuel injector connectors

Originally posted by lude68@Jan 1 2004, 01:05 AM
i dont understand why it would do it now, b/c it was only at 4.5 rpm...and its been at much much higher rpm..hopefully it didnt do anything too bad since the rpm wasnt that high...oh well...ill see in the morning!

first you were at 4.5k RPM's. Engines dont run that well at 4.5 RPM's

Second, the timing belt can snap at any RPM, and the same damage can happen at idle or 9k RPM's.

When was the last time you changed your timing belt. The belt should be replaced every 90k miles if not sooner.

With a noninterferiance engine like honda's, when the timing belt snaps, and if your in the middle of either Intake or Exhaust cycle in any cylinder, your going to bend a valve if not worse. What happens is that the the valves are open, then the belt snaps, the valves are still open because there is no longer anything to move the cam, then the pistons are still moving up and down, then the valves and pistons meet. Best case senerio, the belt snaps, you dont bend any valves, This does not happen much. Next best would be it snaps, you bend a few valves, and thats it. Worse case, It snaps, valves hit piston, you damage the piston, if not put a hole through it, possibly snap/bend a rod, and possibly throw the rod through the block.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jan 1 2004, 10:35 AM-->
@Jan 1 2004, 01:05 AM

first you were at 4.5k RPM's. Engines dont run that well at 4.5 RPM's

Second, the timing belt can snap at any RPM, and the same damage can happen at idle or 9k RPM's.

When was the last time you changed your timing belt. The belt should be replaced every 90k miles if not sooner.

With a noninterferiance engine like honda's, when the timing belt snaps, and if your in the middle of either Intake or Exhaust cycle in any cylinder, your going to bend a valve if not worse. What happens is that the the valves are open, then the belt snaps, the valves are still open because there is no longer anything to move the cam, then the pistons are still moving up and down, then the valves and pistons meet. Best case senerio, the belt snaps, you dont bend any valves, This does not happen much. Next best would be it snaps, you bend a few valves, and thats it. Worse case, It snaps, valves hit piston, you damage the piston, if not put a hole through it, possibly snap/bend a rod, and possibly throw the rod through the block.

yea i know all of that! BUT(here comes the big but) i just went outside took off my valve cover and it ISNT my timing belt! thank god! what else could it be?

Do a compression test maybe to see if you still have compression. Also look around the engine bay at all conections to make sure they are properly attached. Sometimes it a stupid little thing that causes the problem.

yea..i was going to do a compression check when i got back home (seeing how everybody borrows shit from me all of the time and i somehow dont get it back) .... but ill check those plugs when i get home also...for some reason it just isnt adding up...i mean everything was running fine...i mean even w/ my stock injectors i would take it too 5 (not under full load) and it was fine...ive just got this thing in the back of my mind that it had something to do w/ vtec(since that is when it engages)...and its electrical...if it is compression then i guess its good time to start beefing up the internals!..oh well..well see what happens...

is it an auto by any chance?

The SAME thing happened to my grandmothers saturn while i was driving it. It turned out that the alternator, wasnt charging the battery, and put the car into limp mode. I replaced the battery and alternator.. the both needed to be replaced.... and the car ran fine after that.

i dunno about you car though. Check your battery, and alternator... hey they are some suggestions

yea thanx for the suggestions..but ive got a m/t...ill let yall know what the compression is in just a few min. when i get back in....

OK PEEpS! My compression checked in at

1- 155
2- 167
3- 161
4- 175

Ive got fuel, Compression, and i held the plug up to the block w/ the boot on and didnt get a spark...so i guess its down to spark! what could it be(keep in mind that when i took out my plugs and took them off of the boot that the white part of the plug that wasnt cover by the boot looked burnt! ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Originally posted by sleeperls93@Jan 1 2004, 06:19 PM
It's your distributor....been there....

just buy a whole new one? w/ new plug wires? (will an ls work or do i have to get a gsr distributer)?

I had my step-dad take a look at it about an hour ago and he said he thinks it could just be the igniter in the distributer. Could that just be the problem or would i need a whole distributer?

Back