Need input on possible transmission swap??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kaosprophet

I have a 1991 Acura Integra LS with a B18A and the stock 5 spd transmission. However I'm interested in trying to find a transmission with longer gears and was wondering if anyone could tell me what Honda transmissions will bolt up to a B18A and what vehicles I can get them out of. Any input would be appreciated. :D

Edited:
I should elaborate.. what would be a good swap for what I'm wanting and what vehicles can i find the transmissions in?

you mena you want shorter gears right? to go faster of the line and what not. The GS-R tran or Type R trany are good and a B16 trans is btter then the Ls tran you have though it susposed to be a lil weaker for some reason i dont remember.

Actually no the opposite of that... I use my LS as a daily driver/traveling ride so I'm wanting longer gears so my RPMs aren't so friggin high on the highway. Though I do appreciate the insight on the shorter gears cause i'm rebuilding a GS as well strictly for racing so I'll keep that in mind. These are my first project cars so I'm diving into a new world here.. hehe thanks again. ;)

do you even know what transmission you have. Everyone seems to think on this site the Integra came with the YS1, when in fact it didnt. Just the other day I ran into someone with an A1 in their 91 Integra. I bought an S1 out of a 91 GS integra. SO to break it down here's a list of transmissions.

A1 - pretty long gearing
Y1 - kinda tall
S1 - real short and fast
J1 - really short
YS1 - Gas Getter, good gearing.

To check the code, the code is a sticker, on the front of the case next to the engine code, do you know what Im talking about?

holy wack batman...longer gears than a LS? jeeeezz....I though the LS tranny with my b16 swap was a dog. stay with the ls tranny, any other honda tranny has shorter gears.

Originally posted by Kaosprophet@Apr 5 2004, 03:34 AM
Actually no the opposite of that... I use my LS as a daily driver/traveling ride so I'm wanting longer gears so my RPMs aren't so friggin high on the highway. Though I do appreciate the insight on the shorter gears cause i'm rebuilding a GS as well strictly for racing so I'll keep that in mind. These are my first project cars so I'm diving into a new world here.. hehe thanks again. ;)

High rpm's with the Ls tranny, try driving a b16 with a s1 tranny then get back to me.

i used to have a s1 id be doing 80 and my rpms were at 4300 rpm. Now I have LS Im 80 mph at 4000 rpm.

Originally posted by SpodaB1@Apr 5 2004, 11:17 AM
do you even know what transmission you have. Everyone seems to think on this site the Integra came with the YS1, when in fact it didnt. Just the other day I ran into someone with an A1 in their 91 Integra. I bought an S1 out of a 91 GS integra. SO to break it down here's a list of transmissions.

A1 - pretty long gearing
Y1 - kinda tall
S1 - real short and fast
J1 - really short
YS1 - Gas Getter, good gearing.

To check the code, the code is a sticker, on the front of the case next to the engine code, do you know what Im talking about?

Thank you for this post Spoda. I was always wondering why my LS tranny didn't have as long of gears as my friends. I had been misled and was told that GS Integras and LS Integras had the same gearing. Yay. I understand. :hmm: I might want a new tranny now though...

the only reason I think my current transmission's gears are too short for my liking is cause about 5 years ago my cousin from Indiana came to Wyoming to visit and he had a 1992 Integra GSR and when we went to the lake that car floated down the highway with ease at 90mph but I don't ever remember the tach ever getting over 4000. My biggest problem is I have no idea what he had in it other than a beefed 1.8L... hence why I'm here asking now. I know it probably sounds dumb or whatnot about wanting longer gears in a Teg but as I said I'm diving into a whole new world here with my two Tegs as I've never personally done the mechanical work. I'm just an electrical guy. ;)

If ya'll think my stock tranny is a keeper I'll take all yer words for it. Thats why I posted the question... ya'll know more than I do. :lol:

Thanks for all the input everyone.

another way to get your rpm's down is a larger tire diameter. I'm not saying larger rims although they could help you get a larger tire size. I'm talking about from where your tire touches the ground to the highest point in the wheel well. I'm not too sure this would be the best choice for what you want since it will add more weight and need more power from the engin to get them rolling (not really that much but every little bit counts). I just thought this information might help out a bit.

Back