Need Motor Mount inserts - custom?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Buff_Hatch

Have a 1990 Hatch with the B-series. All 3 Mounts are new, and a stiffer Urethane than stock. The problem is the Driver's side mount is "walking" off the steel tube where the bolt slides into and the mount makes contact with the metal part of the mount attached to the frame.

Is there any solid insert that I can put in to keep it from moving? Anyone have this problem? I do not want to buy another mount but just need something to put in the spaces.:confused:

What mounts are you using? I know some mounts actually come out of the "housing"(which would act as a buffer) while some are completely enclosed.

k, here is what it looks like.

as you can see, it is hitting the rear side of the mounting bracket , closest to the firewall.

these are new mounts but because the bolts on the REAR mount was loose, it caused it to move.

So, I don't want to buy new ones, just what can I put inbetween there to prevent from hitting, ???

Attachments

• MOTOR MOUNT.JPG
    MOTOR MOUNT.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 349
k, here is what it looks like.

as you can see, it is hitting the rear side of the mounting bracket , closest to the firewall.

these are new mounts but because the bolts on the REAR mount was loose, it caused it to move.

So, I don't want to buy new ones, just what can I put inbetween there to prevent from hitting, ???
That's kinda what I was thinking when I first read this a day or so ago. What else in the mounts are not working correctly? The rear mount is difficult to work where it interfaces with the chassis.

Without more detailed information, as has already been noted - I have no idea other than to suggest there are other issues with the front and rear mounts and the engine is moving causing the LH side mount to walk off the center bushing.

The drivers side mount may be a symptom in this case - of a larger problem. Hopefully, this is not the case.

If everything else looks good, then I'd probably make some hard rubber inserts to go between the mount and chassis. You can get rubber at Grainger in 12" x 12" sheets of just about any thickness. Or, get some truck tailgate bedliner material from Pep Boys and cut them from that. Band saw works well, hack say or sabre/jig saw or sawsall will cut it good too. The truck rubber tailgate liner I bought to set the lathe on in my shop was about $20 and it's 1/4" thick, web reinforced neoprene rubber.

There are other things you could also try. Remove the mount and push the center bushing out, clean in up with brake cleaner, scuff it up with some #60 grit sandpaper (inside of mount core and the bushing. Then, slather it up with RTV real good and push the bushing in. That may hold it together.

I still suspect there are other issues and this is a sympton.

Last edited:
Back