need new intake

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MazdaAspec

/\ IDIOT ALERT /\
This is a custom intake put on due to the old one sparking off the ECU unit. I need a new one that will give me better air flow for racing and hopfully wont spark off to the ECU. Where should I look for one and what brand should I go for??

CS 5.JPG

how did an intake pipe do anything to the ECU??

I am guessing something was not grounded properly and was going to the intake pipe. Well the Inake pipe was touching the body of the car and must have been setting it off. As soon as we put the custom made one on, it no longer had that problem.

ehh.. errrr.. uh.. still doesnt make much sense to me.. i've never heard of that happening, ever

I am trying my luck and buying a new one and hope it will not do it. Now I am just wondering on what to get.

If you have a factory pipe, put it back on.

These "Cold Air Intakes" do nothing for you.

I am guessing something was not grounded properly and was going to the intake pipe. Well the Inake pipe was touching the body of the car and must have been setting it off. As soon as we put the custom made one on, it no longer had that problem.

mine was doing this because the cold air intake metal was touching the throttle body and the battery creating a circuit and sparking before i relocated my battery. but it looks like you've already moved your battery and its still doing this?

how do you have your possitive cables hooked up? if you have your power or battery cables touching the intake pipe and grounding then it will spark.

From the pics it looks like a 4th gen not a 3rd, just get an intake for a DA 91-93 Integra off of ebay and cut it to work thats what I did.^_^

Last edited:
i made an intake out of the stock pipe. i had to cut the stock pipe to where that outlet goes to the valve cover. but i put a filter on there, bought a flex pipe and drilled it to the filter. it flows really well. there is a hole where the stock intake use to be and thas where i mounted the flex pipe to get cold air.

FYI your dizzy bolts are loose. The intake tube is isolated by rubber.

I know I was putting new cap and rotor on along with 9mm wires.

Attachments

• New red cap and wires.JPG
    New red cap and wires.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 206
yaa if it was sparking i'd do some further detective work.

as an example:
buddy of mine had hesitation on hard accel. took it to a shop. paid 180 bucks to replace his spark plug wires and was told they were shot. 2 days later, it was doing the same thing. the shop didnt ask themselves the question as to why they went bad. they just replaced them and called it a day. i had him take it to my mechanic that did my engine swap the second time, and he verified there was a further cause, a leaking valve cover gasket around the spark plug wells, leaking oil, causing the wires to ground out and short.

gooood luck!

Back