Need opinions on b18b!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
I know this guy that will sell me his entire swap from his 94-95 teg.
Its got a 168k on it and runs good.
The majority of the miles are highway from the first owner,
he is the 2nd.
He's asking $1500 for everything, installed into my eg hatch.
Its already got and will be included, act clutch/flywheel, headers, intake and i think msd ingnition.
I'm a little bit skeptical because the amount of miles on it, but then again I want to eventually do a rebuild on the engine, to handle boost.

Maybe I can get him down on the price but what do you guys think. I value your opinions espicially ones who know what things are worth and what things go for locally and such. I just need to get my swap out soon because my cx is fucking up and money is extremely tight.
If anything, does anyone know of any places in the New England area that sells used engines, so I can do a little more price shopping?
I know that was long but thanks for reading and for any help in advanced.
Keith

I wouldn't buy it. That's just my opinion. With the amount of miles it has on it before you could really do anything you'd have to tear it down and rebuild it and as you stated "money is extremely tight". Also, being that it's already been modded, I would have to believe that the motor has been run hard. The mileage alone would turn me away from it, unless your ready to do a complete tear down and rebuild. Just remember that rebuilding a motor isn't cheap and with the price he's asking for it and consider the cost of a rebuild, I think you can find another ls or b16 that doesn't need the rebuild for less.

Well I'm not a Vet but $1500 installed sounds pretty good to me I have an Accord W/ 167,000 on her and she still runs very strong!
Maybe do a compression test... All clinders should be somewere between 180-135 psi with less than 25psi variation between them if this checks out good I would say go for it. And if you plan on going through the motor eventually anyway then you are saving money for the time being on the bolt ons and what not...(imo) just a thought :shrug2:

Originally posted by sloazcrx@Jul 16 2003, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't buy it. That's just my opinion. With the amount of miles it has on it before you could really do anything you'd have to tear it down and rebuild it and as you stated "money is extremely tight". Also, being that it's already been modded, I would have to believe that the motor has been run hard. The mileage alone would turn me away from it, unless your ready to do a complete tear down and rebuild. Just remember that rebuilding a motor isn't cheap and with the price he's asking for it and consider the cost of a rebuild, I think you can find another ls or b16 that doesn't need the rebuild for less.

I've considered all those things bro, but you think I can get an b18b swap for less?
By all means, please let me know where I can get it for less & with less miles.
I know I haven't shopped around that much but so far, every b18b swap alone is 2g's. How much do you think I can get an obd-1 b18b locally?

BTW, i'm want to eventually do a rebuild..but not till like a year after i purchased the engine and hopefully paid down some debt.

i say go for it. the price is pretty good, especially installed.

even if you have to do a rebuild your're still way ahead of trying to peice together a motor or an incomplete swap.

just my $.02

i agree. i paid 1200 for my LS, and that was probably one of the best deals around at the time.... and not installed either.

i say go for it. 1500 installed is like getting the motor for 5-800 bucks, as most shops charge 700-1000 for an install.

dude, with that milage, depending on what puck/disc the clutch is, the tranny might not hold up. my friends ls with the act 6 puck tore through 2 trannys the first was 145K miles, the next tranny was 166K miles. put it this way yeh its a b18 b for 1500 installed but the end result on keeping it together will be more money than a low mileage motor. personally wait and look around. i found a 94 gsr swap with 64k, for 1500 delivered, but i have to install it. thats a good deal to me

i agree with no , 1500 seems a lot TO ME but then again, i live in cali. so parts and motors are a dime a dozen.. i know hook ups for 1100 installed.. see if you can talk him down because of the high ass mileage.. you'd get a real gain because mileage is irrelevant when you do a complete rebuild and he probably doesnt know that you're doing that, thus he might agree.. because you said money was tight, you dont wanna buy it for 1500 and have to rebuild it immediately because its breaking down knowing that you couldve gotten it for a better price and had more money for mods.. if he doesnt go down skip it, but if you cant find a better price, then i guess you could get it..

Back