1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need opinions- which bottom end?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by stmotorsports, Apr 29, 2007.

1. stmotorsports

stmotorsports Senior Member

well here's the deal- I'm currently rocking a 2000 Civic Si with a street JRSC kit (~6psi) on the stock B16A2. The problem is that the car has absolute dogshit for power right off the line until it starts building boost. There was already a 7.5lb flywheel and ITR cams in the car when I got it which I know aren't helping the matter, but I know going back to stock B16 stuff won't help much either. Looking for more off the line oomph plus more power overall would only be a plus.

So basically I'm wondering if I should go with a GSR, LS or B20 bottom end. I know the GSR would pretty much bolt right up, would have the oil squirters, would be around ~9.8:1 comp with the B16 head, and would probably have decent off the line jump with the stock flywheel/etc. But I also know I'd get even more tq out of one of the other 2 choices, although that would involve running the external vtec lines and I'm not sure what else.

Just for reference- the car is mostly used for autox, some track days and daily street driving.

thoughts?

2. stmotorsports

hmm hadn't considered the bore unshrouding the valves, with the larger bore I could probably do some chamber work and blend the valve area to further unshroud them too

as far as tq/low end power is concerned, how much of a difference would there be going from the B16 w/ the ITR cams and 7.5# flywheel to a GSR bottom end with either GSR or ITR cams and stock flywheel? Only reason I'm wondering is because I might know someone local looking to dump off a GSR bottom end cheap

3. stmotorsports

I was orginally planning on going B20 but dunno tho- I've heard so many horror stories about stock B20 blocks not getting along with boost

4. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

you mean 12ft.lbs..

**edit.. nevermind.. i see a a2 only has 111.. mine has 116

5. dtob

dtob New Member

Ya I think that they got the 84mm bore by using thinner sleeves in the same block. Essentially they bored it out to 84mm... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

6. dtob

dtob New Member

????

That's just what I was told. Never really looked into it.

7. dtob

dtob New Member

Good to know. Thanks!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted