1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by reckedracing, Dec 22, 2005.

Speak Up or Wait?

1. Ask Him about it now?

100.0%
  2. Wait till tomorrow?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. wait till next week?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Forget About it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

So here's the background...

I am an accountant that works on cars on the side. Salaried employee etc etc etc.
    My boss just got the brakes changed on his 02 Jetta and it cost him like 500 bucks for front and rear, yea his mechanic fucks him hard core...

So his BMW 325xi sport wagon started to have a grind in the front brakes, front pads were shot.
    The car is a lease, so brakes aren't covered and the car goes back in May.

After they got fucked on the Jetta I told them they should have asked me and I would have done it for less.
    So now they ask me if I could/would check out the car, I said sure, took a look and told them it just needed pads. Called around, found a decent parts place that could have them the next day. Next day I brought a craftsman tool set to work, went to town during the day and used my boss's CC to get the pads, used his CC to get some big ass pliers ($20 at lowes) to push in the pistons. Then I proceeded to change the pads outside in the freezing cold in their driveway.

So after I was done I went back to work in the office and left normal time at 5.
    He said he appreciated it and asked how much he owed me and I just shrugged so he said he would "take care of me in the morning".

So here it is 4:20 and I've seen nothing. THis morning I asked if he drove the car and he said no, then he went out for lunch and when he got back I asked him how the brakes were etc etc etc...
    still nothing

he leaves next tuesday for 3 weeks of vacation..
    so should i bring it up now, wait till tmw, or bring it up next monday before he goes away, or just forget about it all together since I did it during salary time...

2. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

he knows what you did.
    you were on the clock.

if he pays you at all, its above and beyond what he has to do, unless you specifically said otherwise that you would do his brakse for $xxx on your own time.

here's what you do.

make a gmail account up.

find pics of:

a stop sign
    a traffic light
    a long twisty road 15% grade sign
    a shoe
    a knee pad

and email him those pics from the gmail account :p

if that doesn't remind him, i dont know what will. lol

4. Xaero3953

Xaero3953 Senior Member

:werd: I'd give him a day to drive it and such, then tomorrow morn. bring it up gently. Don't clamor out, "where's my money?" but you know what i mean...good luck. worst case, he says no, or stalls it

5. Bl6CRX

Bl6CRX Senior Member

Although you said you were on salary, how does your hourly rate compare with that of a mechanic? If a mechanic is not making at least twice as much as you, I would definitely shoot straight to number 4.

Actually, id probably go with number 4 regardless, if your unhappy with it, shrug it off now, and make better arrangements if he asks you to do it again in the future.

6. Domi31

Domi31 Member

Try to bring it up in a conversation about how those dam German cars can be a pain to work on and just remind him that you had to go to lowes and shit. He should recall what he said himself

If he does not say any thing about paying you back, you got fuck by your boss sorry [​IMG]

7. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

i think working in the cold in his driveway is above and beyond what my job description calls for too,
    as well as using my truck to go get his parts...

they asked if i wanted to take it home at night but i turned that down, 30-40 minute commute in the country is just asking for a deer or something...

mechanics with certification start at 2x my salary...

fuck it, i'll just wait it out, then really get him if he ever needs work done again...

8. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

You shouldn'tve just shrugged when he asked if he owed you anything. If someone did work for me, and I asked how much I owed them and they responded with just a shrug and didn't say anything else right then, I would take it as 'you don't owe me anything'.

You can't just come back days later and say 'oh, by the way, you owe me money'.

9. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

and if a mechanic is making twice as much as an accountant, you're doing something very wrong....

10. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

in the past whenever i did work for them i would jsut shrug or tell him whatever he wanted and i always made out better that way...

local dealership is huge and had a huge demand, and i'm just starting out, didn't get my CPA yet

11. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

If that's the way it's worked in the past I wouldn't worry about it yet. Ask him tomorrow if nothing happens. Just tell him it would be nice to have a little extra for the holidays or something.

12. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

So today my boss gave me my xmas bonus check of 125 and I asked if it was for a bonus or for the brake job, he said it was a bonus...

a couple hours later he gave me 2 $50's for the brake job and asked if it was enough...

i thanked him etc etc

well done...

13. Xaero3953

Xaero3953 Senior Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted