Need some advice and guidance. Building my motor from scratch. B20/B18 Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

goinv8huntin

OK, here it is, who I am, what I have, and what I want and need...

I have a
99 GSR

with the following
b20b4 block
b18c1 head
Drag Turbo kit, including piping, HKS bov, Tial wastegate, FMIC
Vortech FMU
AEM fuel filter, fuel rail, fuel press reg
crane cams ignition coil
msd ignition digital sci, distributor cap, and spark plug cables
msd external inline fuel pump

I purchased the car with the motor and turbo setup, less all the accessories. After spending the endless amount of time and money for all the minor little stuff, I could not get the car to run right, i am guessing it was air/fuel issues. Long story short, took my motor out for suspicions of wasted piston rings. Upon tearing everything apart, noticed that my pistons had cracks around the ring supports, and also noticed 2 rods were bent.

Now I am in the market of consuming new pistons and rods. I have done as much homework as possible (and as time has permitted), unfortunately, I am not educated in the engine internals department. ALL your efforts are appreciated!

I need suggestions for the following:

Pistons:
Rods:
Spark Plugs:
Fuel Injectors:
Clutch:

Also, do I need to sleeve, or resurface? I understand some of my questions can only be answered depending on what I want my outcome to be. It will be a daily driver, under 20psi boost, with AC.

Here are my choices, please point out my incorrect choice with a correct one. I am considering this setup only because of the price... what are the pros and cons?

Wiseco pistons
Eagle H beam rods
eBay Motors: ACURA B18A B18B B20 EAGLE RODS WISECO TURBO PISTONS 40 (item 260033398617 end time Sep-26-06 15:38:45 PDT)

550cc RC injectors
eBay Motors: RC Fuel Injectors Acura Integra GSR Type R 550cc 550 cc (item 110035718231 end time Sep-30-06 11:49:49 PDT)

NGK Iridium sparkplugs
eBay Motors: NGK Iridium Spark Plugs - Turbo Civic Integra EG6 DC2 (item 280030142015 end time Sep-24-06 11:07:22 PDT)

Is there anything I need to look out for insight of replacement or repair prior to re-assembling the motor and reinstalling? Since I am replacing the pistons and possibly the rods as well, do I re-use the crankshaft, crank bearings? Since my head is apart as well, would it be necessary for upgrading valves, valve springs, etc… Would it be necessary to upgrade my flywheel? Do I have my head “re-done” or valves re-tightened?

Thanks for all the help in advance. My GSR has been in my garage for the past year and a half, I finally have the time and money to invest. I have pictures of the car, if desired. I live and work in the San Fernando Valley. I am available via forum, phone, and email.

a resurface might help but i dont think your gonna need sleeves if the only damage is coming from the rods and pistons, i think they are more for protecting the block. other than that are u running a high compression ratio?

i assume that they were stock pistons and rods.. take the block to the machine shop and have them take a look at it.. you prolly just need to get a hone.. eagle rods are good.. prolly keep stock or alittle under stock cr.. forged rods and pistons if you want.. i know that ebay has package deals with pistons and rods for like 700..

Back