Need some advice on a swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nybali

I have 92 Civic Cx with the stock motor and tranny 160k miles. Problem is I killed the motor possibly from overheating when my radiator was leaking. Because I replaced a lot of things recently radiator, alternator, complete brake system, distributor, water pump, exhaust system I wanna keep this car. I'm looking for something cheap/ fuel efficient (I drive a lot) and reliable. Problem with the motor is it consumes oil (1 qt every 300 mi) and coolant. Also there is oil in the coolant reservoir. It runs slower than when I first got it (40k miles ago) despite new spark plugs, etc. probably because of these engine issues.

I have no idea how long the current engine will last, but am afraid not very long so I need to do this swap quick or fix the engine since I use my car for work.

So I'm looking for a good engine and have in mind a d15b non-vtec which I could buy from a store near me for $500, I'm gonna keep my current transmission:
Japanese Engines Inc - JDMENGINESINC > 88-95 HONDA CIVIC ENGINE 1.5 LITER SOHC - D15B
I am looking to install with my friend so I don't have to pay for labor. I would love a vtec-e but don't think its worth it for the added cost and hassle of vtec stuff would make up for the money saved on gas.

I'm just a bit confused about this d15b that I'm looking at it says 88-95 HONDA CIVIC ENGINE 1.5 LITER SOHC - D15B. Its 16 valves and my current engine is 8 valves so it should be a little more horse at least around 100 like the usdm civic dx engine. Is this engine MPFI? If its not MPFI is that a problem? If I swap this for my current engine will there be any extra/ different parts I need because its a jdm?

Any advice / tips would be greatly appreciated cause its my first swap, my friend has swapped in engine before in a 240 but it was the same exact one. Also this car has spend its life up north and has some rust, would that make swapping the engine difficult, getting off nuts and bolts, etc? Thanks.

Sounds like you blew a head gasket on that engine. Your easiest option would be to swap in a different engine of the same kind. Having access to a impact wrench and good tools will make the job alot easier. Good luck. Any questions just ask.

im bout to swap out my jdm D15B Vtec that is in my 92 civic CX hatchback for a K24 if you want the engine and tranny and radiator axles and ECU ill let you have it for 800?? get at me soon..might not have much longer
oo this was a swapped engine with 44,000 miles on it now..the ECU isnt a vtec ecu and the car was never wired for Vtec..so you might have to find a ECU that will run vtec or just run it..i never worried about it..ran just fine on that ecu

and yes D15 is 16valve versus your stock 8 valve..which is what i had first..and if you come get it ill give you everything for 700 or just pay shippin
im in Prairieville LA

no, im actually gonna look at a d15b vtec with ecu this weekend locally and I dont need the transmission, also im in north jersey.

get good tools, makes the job easier like boost said. as far as i know, and i may be wrong but i think every civic 92+ came pre wired for vtec. you dont need anything special, its a direct swap. use your engine harness from your current engine. good luck.

The civic would be pre wired for vtec to the engine bay. So in order to have vtec be plug and play you would need the vtec engine harness. Otherwise you can tap into the wires in the plugs that come from inside the car to the engine bay, that way you dont have to add any pins or anything at the ecu.

Back