1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some education from the Admin here

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Capt. Orygun, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

Alright it goes like this

I sell insurance for a local independent agency. It's a great agency, how many independents do you know who sell both Nationwide and Allstate? In truth it's an exciting place to sell because we have a dozen companies to choose from so the client benefits as he has more options. But enough of me and how great my agency is.

The housing market is still smoking hot here in Oregon, they can't put these subdivisions in fast enough. The problem is half of these people are from Cali and we're not going to start buying TV time in all major California markets to get to them. But how to reach them? Then it hit me.

These people moving from out of state find these subdivisions on the Internet. The builders have websites with individual pages for each sub division. Now all I need is to design banner ads and buy space on their website, but how? And how much should we pay them?

I know there are some experts on here, anyone care to bring me up to speed?

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
    google_ad_client = "pub-4857976948390911";
    google_ad_output = "textlink";
    google_ad_format = "ref_text";
    google_cpa_choice = "CAAQwOSQ_QEaCHvEOvWROcS0KKjntoQB";
    //--></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
    </script>

3. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

?!? no I want a nice looking banner, one I don't share with 4 other sites. and I know what they look like I just don't know how to create one and get it one the site

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

contact the friggin site you want it on then. if you want exclusive ad, get your wallet out... it's going to cost you a fortune.

i'd charge $1000 a week for an exclusive ad on here.

5. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

Ouch!

Well here's the website, what do you sugjest I use? I could design the banner if it was JPG, I just can't do the moving GIF thing. I'm sure I could teach myself though

Albany Willamette Valley Oregon Communities

6. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

i doubt they would even sell you ad space on their site

and why would they choose you to buy insurance from?
    just playing devils advocate

7. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

I know you would have major compliance issues if you go that route. I only do a little bit of Insurance work, but I know it's hard to do your own advertising. If you want to spread your business more, I can give you Ideas other than banners and tv stuff.

8. smarty009

smarty009 Senior Member

9. Bob Vila

Bob Vila ɐןıʌ qoq Admin VIP

Being an independant agency, you'll need to understand from the carriers if you are allowed to utilize their name in the advertising of the company (Name and Logos).

If your looking to farm out the work PM me with more details and I can give you a quote on the development of your advertising needs.

10. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

Doesn't look like they host any ads on their site.

Contact them, see if they will serve an ad. Then build a banner.
    otherwise, you're wasting your time if you want it just on that site.

I still think its a waste of time to advertise on one site though.

chances are, they aren't just buying from there.
    realtor.com and all the other MLs sites out there.... that are up to the hour real-time ..... that site is a waste of time IMO

11. Bob Vila

Realtor.com is about 5 days behind :(

12. totalburnout

totalburnout Well-Known Member VIP

Brian's right...

I grew up in a household that sold advertising for all my life. You can't just hit one specific place to advertise and expect to see results. Advertising isn't cheap, but pays for itself, if its successful, ten fold in the end.

Internet advertising is where the market is at now. My father got into that when the market first opened up, the owners of the company had previously owned one of the largest cable advertising networks and sold out to a couple major companies to COX cable which was the fifth largest cable carrier at the time.

Its fine to hit a target market, or a specific segment, but you have to research how many hits a day that site is getting and the demographics of those hits. So basically you're going to need to know what you're doing or have an internet analysis done to provide you with the info you need. Not only do you need to know the traffic, but from who, and where they're located, especially if you're trying to reach out to the west coast.

Also, the major listing sites, like B suggested are going to see the most traffic and as a result they're going to see the most benefit from advertisement. Its like using national cable advertising versuses local advertisement - there's just no comparison but you do have to have the capital behind you to run the ad campaign.

In the end, its not going to be cheap, because you have to understand that nothing in life is free and that many, many, many people make a living simply from selling advertising space. You wouldn't believe what some people selling just local TV spots are making for a living after they build up their client base.

I'll let you in on a hint, there's an award laying around that was near 7 million dollars, billed by my father more than 10 years ago for selling TV spots on national channels like MTV, but for local spots. This wasn't big time advertising, this was hitting a network that only spanned Northern NJ, and in some cases NY and Philly.

13. totalburnout

To him, it doesn't matter if the site is up to date, so much as if people still have faith in it and are still visiting it.

He doesn't care if the listings are up to date, he cares that people sees his names are out there.

I know you were just ranting, but I'm just trying to point out this is really a non issue.

14. Bob Vila

I agree that its about the viewability, I was just stating a point as to where Realtor.com is that far behind in this rapid turnover market. And I only say that because we're in the midst of selling our condo.

:)

15. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

it could be your agent not entering it into MLS in a timely fashion either....
    there's a ton of factors. but anyway... not the point of this thread.

16. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

if i wanted to live at the poverty level :D

17. totalburnout

lol.

Single income advertising salesman has put a comfortable roof and living over my head for many, many years. :)

You just have to be good at what you do, and build up a decent clientelle

18. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

that was just one the the sites we're looking at, realistically we're looking at getting every subdivision in the county

19. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

Im with Brian on this one...I dont think theyd want advertising on that site. I dont see where it could be integrated and not screw up the whole design. Something little under the menu, but i think that might be more annoying than effective.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted