need some help from fellow math geeks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok i need a little help for my multivariable calc class. we have this assignment, and i cant figure out this one problem for the life of me. we are doing vectors.

the problem:

write c in the form ra + sb, where r and s are scalars.

a = 3i + 2j, b = 8i + 5j, c = 7i + 9j

now basically i have to set
c = ra + sb
or
7i + 9j = r(3i + 2j) + s(8i + 5j)
and find the actual value of r and s but i just dont know how to go about it, ive been trying to do it with trial and error but nothing has worked so far. is there a special way i should go about this or manipulate it to make it work?. anyone have any tips?

ok this is what i have so far....

i distributed the r and s: (r3i + r2j) + (s8i + s5j)

combine like terms: (r3i + s8i) + (r2j + s5j)

pull out the coefficients: (3r + 8s)i + (2r + 5s)j

now (3r + 8s) has to = 7, because i need 7i for the i component
and
(2r + 5s) has to = 9 becasue i need 9j for the j component

now i did some algebra:

7 = 3r + 8s 7 = 2r + 5s - 2

3r + 8s = 2r + 5s -2
3r - 2r = 5s - 8s - 2
r= -3s - 2

plug the r substitution back into the equation:

3(-3s - 2) + 8s = 2(-3s - 2) + 5s - 2
-9s -6 +8s = -6s -4 + 5s -2
-s - 6 = -s - 6
s=s

now i just proved that s=s, WTF??? thats not what i need, i need to find the numerical answer. what am i doing wrong?

using, find c = ra +sb
a = 3i + 2j, b = 8i + 5j, c = 7i + 9j

By substitution, we find that c = 7i + 9j = r(3i + 2j) + s(8i + 5j)

Now, let us simplify by concentrating on only one of the vectors.

7i = r(3i) + s(8i) and 9j = r(2j) + s(5j), ignore the vector components now:

7 = 3r + 8s
9 = 2r + 5s

Let's use the j vector comp. equa. and solve for s.

9 = 2r + 5s
9 - 2r = 5s
(9 - 2r) / 5 = s

Now put this s value defined by r into the other equa.

7 = 3r + 8(9 - 2r) / 5

By out algebra, we simplify and get:

r = 37

Plus this value into either equa. to find s:

7 = 3r + 8s
7 = 3(37) + 8(s)
s = -13

Any questions?

When you did this:

7 = 3r + 8s 7 = 2r + 5s - 2

3r + 8s = 2r + 5s -2
3r - 2r = 5s - 8s - 2
r= -3s - 2

You were ignoring the i and j parts. They are really still there. So you did this:

7i = 3ir + 8is 7j = 2jr + 5js - 2

and 7i =/= 7j
you cant take that step, you have to solve within the respective systems.

It's really not that hard when you learn how to ignore some things. I'm only starting CalcII with vector stuff (all the i and j junk) and we're not doing multivariables (CalcIII). This is pure algebra work here, separating variables from numbers/scalars and finding values for the variables.

But, GSRCRXsi, just wondering if you got it.

yea i got it tommy, thanks. i was trying to set the 2 equations equal to each other when i shoulda done each one seperate, i always mess up little details like that, lol. too bad i turned in the assignment before i got your explaination. i just left it as c = 7i + 9j = r(3i + 2j) + s(8i + 5j), lol. whatever, its not that important, i jus wanted to make sure I understood what was happening. i had calcII last semester and we touched on vectors at the very end. the vector stuff is somewhat review, and then we are going on from that. we are getting into dot products and all kinds of fun shit now :) . and i will need ANOTHER semester of math as well calc IV baby, and im only a damn freshman, lol. all the people in my calc 3 class are upper classmen, except me and 1 other kid.

now i did some of this stuff in highschool too, jus wondering tommy, what year are you in in college (if in college) and whats your major?

thanks again for the help tommy, and to everyone else, dont you wish you knew what was going on? :p :lol:

Differential Equations (aka Calc IV), I've got to take that class as well.
Calc III is way easier than Calc II

i went through calc II, barely made it :(

I am starting calc one on monday and you guys now have me scared as I understood nothing of the above. :(

dont worry dude, thats calc 2/3 shit, calc 1 is stupid easy. just limits taking derivatives and shit, its easy, i swear, lol.

i miss calc...

calc >>>> combinatorics and optimization

i could sing an ode to O.D.E's...

Back