Need some help picking a B-series engine.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AjPetrarca23

im new to this site and im looking to swap out my D16y8 from my 97 ex to a DOHC motor. im looking to build the motor a little for boost. Will the B seires motors fit right into to my car with little mods? what is the best motor for boost, and what motor will be easiest to put in? im going to be buying everything at once. motor, tranny, wiring harness, ecu, exles ect. any information will help. thanks.

The B16a or B18 will be a good swap. The B18b integra LS will probably be the best for boost because it's non vtec and will give u less of a headache trying to tune it. If you must have vtec go with the b16a, B18c or LS Vtec. All of the b series engine will fit in your car with little modification:cool:

IMO....No B16 in your car only B18. Your car's weight with that motor....its worth it to pay a little extra for a B18C or spend about the same amount and get a B18B (^^^and turbo)

I'm not against an LS/VTEC but for peace of mind (in terms of DD) and longevity, I say no (even when built 'correctly'...I just don't see advising it for any DD)

But its a kick ass set up that produces loads of power.

I like the LS/turbo thought and its just a little more then a B18C (GSR) swap

+ LS motor (long blocks) are about $400-600 (if motor pops)

i think im gonna go with the B18C GSR. seems like it will give me more power. what will i have to do to get everything all bolted up? and as for building the motor, will new rods and low compression pistons be enough with a turbo? im looking to make around 350hp, and more if possible. and whats the best turbo for me to use that will get me that power with good spool up time and good top end power? im trying to get all the info begore i get everything. thanks for the help!

you can make roughly 250whp on a stock LS turbo with a good tune..
so if i was you id go LS.build it,turbo it,tune it and have alot of fun..while not rlly breaking the bank...or you could build your D and have the same fun..for about half the cost

Use the search bar man...This swap has been done tons of times. All the information you are looking for is on this site...

I'm with Injen--Boosted LS gets my vote.

what are the advantages of the LS over the GSR besides the money will have to spend?

Are you leaving it N/A? If so, the GSR is your better bet. If you are going to boost it, run an LS with a good tune.

The GSR is higher compression and has vtec. The LS has lower compression and doesn't have vtec. The LS is said to be a better platform for boost--but I suppose with the right tune and parts, either could be boosted.

yeah. im just looking for the motor that can give me the power i want without having to rebuild every little thing. is the LS capable of around 350hp. what will i have to build to be able to push it that far safely.

You still haven't answered if you want to build it for boost or not.

If you are building it for boost, I still say to build the LS and boost it.

If you are trying to build it N/A, you are going to throw TONS of money into either motor and you would be extremely lucky to ever see those numbers...N/A builds are the expensive way to go slow...

yeah. im just looking for the motor that can give me the power i want without having to rebuild every little thing. is the LS capable of around 350hp. what will i have to build to be able to push it that far safely.

uh, if 350whp is your goal, then I would think you will have to build "every little thing" no matter what engine you go with, that is if you want it to last.

The LS is a good motor, if you're building for that kind of hp then you better not cheap out, you get what you pay for. The GSR will cost you more to buy, but its head will flow more CFM then an LS head, which will ultimately yield more hp.

either motor fits easily, you will need93+integra mounts,93+integra linkage, and either change the engine to the obd of the car or get a adapter harness. the ls has a stronger bottom end, and like others have said its goung to be expencive to have 350hp... thats alot of power

thanks for the info. so far guys. What rods and pistons would you suggest getting for the GSR motor without having to bore it out?

In all honesty man, you really need to do some research. These motors have been built 36546864532045675432 times. There are articles all over the web and on this site. Don't look for people to spoon feel you all the information. If you are looking for gobs of power, you are going to have to drop a few shiny pennies. If you don't know what to get or how to do it, either do a ton of research of send your car with a blank check to a reputable shop and let them do it...

if your boosting for 350hp then you will need to build the entire motor..
rods,pistons,arp hardware,new oem bearings,new oem gaskets,you will need to do some headwork,and you will need to tune the piss out of it to make it last

ima just built it all up to be able to handle like 15-18psi get it tuned and just be happy with the power it makes. the turbo D just isn't doin it for me anymore. this is deff. the most helpful site ive been on so far. thanks for the help.

Hi there, i'm new in here and i need some advice from experience mechanic about gear box of my honda accord 95. Now i'm using f22a auto single cam engine with all original parts. Did any improvement of my car performance if i convert my gear box to h22a or h22b gear box? I feel that car having a heavy and slow move during in the 3rd gear when i increase the acceleration. Hope i have a reply and any idea to improve my car performance as above problem i mention.

Hi there, i'm new in here and i need some advice from experience mechanic about gear box of my honda accord 95. Now i'm using f22a auto single cam engine with all original parts. Did any improvement of my car performance if i convert my gear box to h22a or h22b gear box? I feel that car having a heavy and slow move during in the 3rd gear when i increase the acceleration. Hope i have a reply and any idea to improve my car performance as above problem i mention.
start your own thread.your running automatic..and you still wonder why your having sluggish acceleration???
back on topic..
run an ls,build the piss out of it and boost it

Back