Need Some Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mdlax1

Ok Let me first tell you what i have:

1) I work for a consulting group that has a long standing contract at the US. Dept Of Transportation. I have in process a level two Security Clearance. It's not done going through it takes a good deal of time. 3 weeks of vacation a week of personal leave (sick etc).

Like what im doing.. a mix between a little old school development work and a lot of new stuff (which was a big deal for me.. you always need to learn as much as you can in the IT field). Tuition reimbursement and a allowance for books etc for the office. Full benefits.. i mean full everything even 401k matching. Making a solid salary.

The dilemma:

I have an offer on the table for a job change. it's with another contracting org. but with the Dept of Treasury literally right down the street from where i am now.

The pro's:

30K more a year and hourly so ability to make more.
Seems just as stable as where im at now (will verify this)

Some of the cons that have me thinking really hard:

No security clearance. this is my big thing here.. A clearance will get you in the door anywhere before someone who doesn't. Here in the DC metro area that’s crucial. I could probably walk across the street to NSA and get in the door quick. The company i'd be going to so far has said they don’t require a clearance so can't take it over to finish it and get it to me. This will be a MAJOR bargaining chip when i go for the in person interview on monday afternoon.

1 week less vacation same amount personal leave... not a big deal i can cope with that for 30k + more a year

No health insurance but they offer through a company for a discounted rate at 4000 a year for just one person. This kinda sucks ass but still not a deal breaker. I can deal with that.. i can go independent and get health care somewhere else for cheaper.

Going into a new place starting all over after being where i am for a few months already.

Not sure where they stand on tuition reimbursements.. allowance and helping me further my knowledge.. (this will also be a huge bargaining chip as well)

Anyway.. those are the big deal pro's and con's. Here's the questions i have so far. And my big question is what would you ask if you were in this situation.

1)How long is the contract with DOT.. when did it start when does it end.. how many re competes has XXX (consulting company) won and plans to continue the contract.

2) What if XXX company loses the contract? Will i be placed or let go?

3) What’s the benefits package include

4) What are my Education options concerning Certifications and tuition.

5) WILL YOU PICK UP MY CLEARANCE?

6) I need more questions to ask.. what do you think..

:cliffs:

Thinking of changing jobs.. a very hard decision even though there is a lot of money involved

i forgot to add.. i will probably be getting married here soon and im concerned about stability.. clearance here in MD/DC means stability

since your at DOT, find someway to import a skyline, then when it finally clears everything, go to the place with 30k.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jun 27 2004, 01:33 PM
since your at DOT, find someway to import a skyline, then when it finally clears everything, go to the place with 30k.

not exactly my department lol. anyway importing them is easy.. driving them legally isn't

so i went... wasn't impressed. My main questions were...

1) security clearance.. will you pick up up.. A) No.
2) when does your contract end and do you plan to recompeate? A) Up in September 04, plan to recompete
3) What education options do you offer as far as Certs and tuition/class reimbursement. A) Standard, if you need a skill for the job we cover it.
4) is 40 hours promised or do you slack off when it's slow.. A) 40 hours standard even if there is nothing to do.. but OT is rare and has to be approved...

I know it sounds crazy but in the past when i've had interviewer's whip out code on paper.. it normally doesn't speak too highly of the status of the place.. either they've been burned.. or desperate. Had it happen once before and it was a crappy place to work.. they whipped out code on paper in the sun of a court yard and asked me to tell them what the code was doing.

first was a simple asp connection to a sql database..

second.. a javascript field validation script looked like for credit card numbers or a social.. all numbers were valid 0-9 and dashes..

third... whip's out a print out of their internet/intranet and ask's me "what would you change here".. and im like um.. what kind of an answer do you want? i think it looks like shit like any other govt compliant website.. there was like no right answer.. really threw me off..

fourth.. then starts asking me a lot of questions about 508 compliance

fifth.. ask's me the difference between positive and negitive application testing.... WTF is that? what he was trying to say was.. what's the difference between testing to make an app better.. and testing it to try to break it.. the question is the answer.. i mean how do you elaborate on that!? lol

anyway.. wasn't really impressed.. a good bit more money but a lot of that would go to my clearance every 5 years.. and im not down with that.. dont want it to be a hassle to get OT.. nor do i want to be stick in a company that ends up not renewing in sept then im fucked... (happened to me before.. oh yeah yeah we'll win the next contract we've done so good.. oct rolls around and im out of a job)

I'm staying unless i can haggle something fierce with them. Fuck the money i'd rather have the job.. i'll keep my resume out here see what bites

i hear ya.

i had a test/quiz for my job as well... it was stupid shit though... really stupid shit.

I agree. What I would do is complete the interview stage all the way until a job offer is made. At that point, decide if 1) you want more money, and will leave 2) screw the money, you'll just stay, or 3) stay, but show the offer to your superiors, hoping to coax them out of more money. I know how government is, and 3) probably wouldn't work, but know knows.

I know I'd have to make a lot more money somewhere else than to leave the job I have right now. You make a good living. You have security, and will soon be married. How much money do you need to be happy? Like you said in your statement, sometimes the answer is the question itself. [/riddler statement] :)

Back