need some help!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

subimonster

Hey I am very new to the Honda scene. I just got a 1989 Honda ef sedan. It has adjustable coilovers and a no name cat back exhaust. It has a d15 non vtech sohc engine with 5 speed. Head is brand new and lower end has 70k on it. I am a trained automotive technician but have never built a Honda before and am wondering what is the easiest and best way to get more power out of this engine? It is going to be a daily driver so I don't want to deal with swaps and all that but this engine is kinda gutless right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

It is going to be a daily driver so I don't want to deal with swaps and all that but this engine is kinda gutless right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

That's just silly. A swapped motor is just as reliable , sometimes more so than the OEM POS they put in some models. There's swaps, or a mini-me, but if you don't want gutless, you're either rebuilding, swapping, or boosting.

You pretty much need to convert to multi port injection on the wire harness for any swap with decent power

A ZC swap (preferably a dohc one) is an easier swap

Lots of threads with many answers about swaps in your chassis
Spend some time and you can make the best decision based on cost, difficulty, and hp goals

Well noted. What is the easiest swap to do in an ef?

Any same generation D series swap will be a almost a simple remove and replace, everything from the early non-vtec DOHC ZC's, to the D16A8, newer engines are just a matter of converting either the ECU, or the sensors on the engine.

Thank you guys. I am just looking for enough power to climb mount hood because I work up there and the stock motor doesn't have the necessary juice to do it. I will research more on the threads on here.

Back