Need some information

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
Before we get started here I want to make a few things very clear.
1. I want information only. I don't want to hear why it is cooler than Hondata, I don't want to hear about what is might be able to do in the future, and I don't want to hear about how it saves children in Zimbabwe from starvation. Any post in here that deviates from useful information will be deleted and might earn the postera little break from visiting Hondaswap (at the very least an increase in your warning level).

2. No Flaming. Any posts flaming anyone will be deleted and the poster will be warned and possibly suspended.

Now that we are through with that here are my questions:
What is it actually capable of right now? Not what is Beta. What works right now.

How reliable is it? I am thinking of using it to tune the only car that I own so if it is not a reliable product I want to know. Who has had it fail and what was the situation and the cause of failure?

How many people are running it and how long have you been running it?

How long did it take you to tune your car with it?

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jun 2 2004, 02:20 PM
Now that we are through with that here are my questions:
What is it actually capable of right now? Not what is Beta. What works right now.

How reliable is it? I am thinking of using it to tune the only car that I own so if it is not a reliable product I want to know. Who has had it fail and what was the situation and the cause of failure?

How many people are running it and how long have you been running it?

How long did it take you to tune your car with it?

what works?
-full control of fuel/timing maps
-any map sensor you want
-ftl/fts/boostcut
-control of rev limit, vtec, iab
-shiftlight
-open loop
-datalogging with most of the popular widebands (techedge, innovative, plx...)

perfectly reliable. once you get your maps tuned... they aren't gonna change. it depends on how good at tuning you are. if you have experience tuning with hondata, it should take you a few hours to get a descent tune. if you have never tuned before, it may take all day.

i've been running with it for a few months. 30+mpg on the freeway and 11s at the track.

go to the uberdata forum and read any and all posts that have the word "datalogging" in the thread topic. i haven't been following that closely to tell the truth. but it is working.

There is not exactly a lot of good documentation out there for it, but I suppose that is par for the course on free software. Thanks for your help, I will post results if I decide to use it.

documentation is very limited. support isn't bad - the uberdata forum has a lot of ppl who use it regularly, and Blake lurks there quite a bit too. The PGMFI crowd is friendly to UD, and can help out too. I know myself or ndogg would gladly look over your stuff prior to you burning it + running it.

You probably will want to spend some time on the PGMFI wiki (if you haven't already) because a lot of things like code compatibility, which options to enable or disable for certain ECUs, etc. are assumed knowledge.

The "public" version 1.66 does not have the good datalogging code in it, but everything else (fuel, timing, vtec, iab, launch control, scalar editing, etc.) works just fine. "1.666" - the unofficial version with datalogging patched in seems to be a little quirky. You can probably read up on a lot of the documentation related to ECUcontrol on PGMFI / ecucontrol.com and it will apply equally to Uberdata.

I've used Uberdata to tune (literally) dozens of cars. With the closed loop disable, its pretty easy even without datalogging. Uberdata's boost code is pretty stable at this point, along with most of the features already mentioned. There are a few 400+ WHP cars running on it too...

I am not interested in boost support. I have never played with any sort of tuning software before but Ihave access to a dyno and a wide band. I watched Calesta and Phillip from Intercrew tune Calesta's Civic with Hondata on Tuesday and that looked really easy, I am hoping that the Uberdata would be that easy to use.

IMO, tuning all motor is 30 times easy than a boosted car- air flow is pretty much "regular" compared to a boosted car.

I think the thign you're confusing here Eric is that the reliability of the software is independant of the eeprom chip that has been previously been burned and is in your socketed ecu so, as long as the software doesn't crash when you at the dyno, once you're burned- your burned.

<nerd> think bios flash</nerd>
its the same concept.
you write to it once, and its on it. and as long as the writer was good for that given period of time, so will your flash.

I'm not sure how uberdata does it-

but hondata can be done 2 ways- either with an on-the fly, write to the chip each time you make an adjustment (if you have the right EEPROM), or with an EPROM, you "cache" the tune on the laptop, and when good, burn the chip once. (emulation)

read: http://hondata.com/techroms.html

hondata has a tool that makes it easier too: http://hondata.com/romulator.html

again, i don't know much about uber, so i don't know if it does things the same way- but due to the lack of hardware (uber is software after all, and you still gotta buy your chips and burner) I'd hazard aguess that it's a pull-burn-pull-reburn process until its right

Yeah I understand that. My concern is I can't find any documentation on Uberdata so I am not sure if it has all the functionality and easy UI of Hondata.

if you need spoon feeding buy a hondata. If you understand the theory, Uberdata will be intiutive. If you need it to be as easy as hondata, then maybe you should buy one? (not trying to be sarcastic)

Back