Need some input

81 Toyota 4x4

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StealthMode

Kung Foolin'
Ok, I looked at a 1981 Toyota pickup 4x4 last night to replace my hatch. I was impressed with it, but I'm just wondering what you all think. Here's the details:

1981 Toyota pickup 4x4
<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">64,000 ORIGINAL MILES on 22R engine</span>
Cragar wheels (aftermarket I guess, they're not stock, but still very tasteful)
Yokohama Geolander 31x10.5 tires with less than 1,000 miles on them
Front seat from later model Tacoma
5 spd with new CenterForce clutch
Recent tune-up with Borg Warner and Excel parts
4 wheel drive works flawlessly
New front shocks
Body is in good shape, bed has just been rust-proofed
Some other rust work above driver's side rear fender

The only rust on the truck is behind the driver's rear fender, about a 1/2" x 3" (or less) strip (traditional Toyota rust)
It's blue with driver's side fender primered gray. (will need a paint job when rust is taken care of)
Chrome roll bar and push bar as well
22 mpg city
It's also got the rare tailgate that clips shut on the sides.

He's asking 2000, but I'm thinking about offering 1700, take it or leave it. I took some pictures last night, but I'm at school right now, so I'll get them up tonight.

Pics:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7

I'd say no, but I hate driving trucks, but i guess that's just me.
I dunno; to me, i think going backwards in years when car shopping usually doesn't work out for the best.(at least from what i've seen)
Offer him $1,627 if you decide to buy it though. :)

1700 seems to be quite a bit for a truck so old

did you check the frame? if not get a small ball peen and go over every inch underneath the truck...
floor boards, cab corners, cab mounts, bed etc...

does it have a bed liner? if so did you climb underneath to see what the actual metal looks like?

my friend got his 95 tacoma extended cab 4x4 5 speed with 95K miles for about 3600, but he found a good deal...

we just picked up a 91 or 92 toyota with a popped head gasket for 500...

and we got a 91 toyota 4x4 with plow for free...
they thought the motor was blown/knocked but its just a broken crank pulley making a scraping noise...

The body and frame are in excellent condition. The ONLY thing is that small amount of rust on the rear fender. There is no bedliner, but I thought about buying one down the road. I didn't look under it, because it was like 9:00 pm last night and I didn't have a flashlight. I just took my camera. But the thing drives like a fucking CHAMP, and shifts ever so smoothly. All the 4WD components are in top shape.

Oh, and a truck is what I'm looking for. But with 64,000 miles, it's not even broken in yet!

sounds like it is probably a good buy, but it does sound like a little much fro that year. i'd say offer 1400 and see what the guys says. also Celerity i think said a while back something about where the toyotas rustat. i think he said the fram rust often, si if i were you i would get under it nd atleast get a look at it just to make sure.r

Quoted post[/post]]
sounds like it is probably a good buy, but it does sound like a little much fro that year. i'd say offer 1400 and see what the guys says. also Celerity i think said a while back something about where the toyotas rustat. i think he said the fram rust often, si if i were you i would get under it nd atleast get a look at it just to make sure.r

I definitely will. My dad is election judging all day today, so I think we'll swing up there on Wednesday around 12:30 to take a look. I'll also take more pictures too. The thing that draws me to it, is 64,000 ORIGINAL miles on it. I didn't believe it till I saw it, but it sure does!

I definitely will. My dad is election judging all day today, so I think we'll swing up there on Wednesday around 12:30 to take a look. I'll also take more pictures too. The thing that draws me to it, is 64,000 ORIGINAL miles on it. I didn't believe it till I saw it, but it sure does!

well, you can;t always believe that...
and that also doesn;t include a few things
1. warming up/idleing for the purpose of heating which can overheat the head...
2. rock crawling/bogging, hard on the truck but shows little miles

when you drive it, make sure the odo is turning, that would be the first give away...
look for signs the cluster was removed
run a carfax report to see if it checks out on the mileage...

low miles is not always such a great thing, vehicles sitting can sometimes do more harm than actually driving them everyday

compression test would be wise, but not necessaryand check the frame over very well
look for rot anywhere the dirt can get in and just sit, such as factory holes in the frame, ledges/flat areas that can trap dirt, or areas that can collect and not drain water well

Here's the story of the truck. The guy that's selling it bought it from a lady he worked with 7 months ago (I met her too). Her son bought it when he graduated from high school (maybe around 10 years ago), but wanted something "fast" so he bought a firebird. The family bought the truck from him, and kept it around for the next 9 years to haul the occasional couch, etc.

Yes the odometer turns. No rock crawling. Doesn't take long to warm up at all, heater works very well. Guage cluster has been untouched. He had a cd player in it, but took it out because it was a gift from his g/f.

I'll run a carfax on it too. I just looked at it last night.

BUY THIS TRUCK. Like Pope said, don't look back. this will be the best buy of your life.

Also, I have everything you'll need. I'm a big Toyota guy, and an even bigger 22R guy. I have, in the garage now, the last of the Celerity builds ready to go. A 210+ hp na motor that should (As my previous Celerity builds have) approach 300 lbs/ft at 2800 rpm. It's a 390 cfm 4bbl with an offenhauser intake - This one is in Nickel finish. The head is a 20R round port Toyota Fujitsu/Ten rally head with the factory blocked off fuel pump round, and in place of the fuel pump lobe it's got dual timing chains. The pistons are 1981 Hemi, and it should be (I haven't sealed the head yet) 9.x:1 compression. The valves are 3 angle ground, with tighter springs (I haven't rockwelled the springs yet to find out exactly how tighter)

But that truck will last you forever, and never die. And if you need any expertise, I would be glad to help. I also have 2 complete sets of tires and rims for the Toyota - my 33"s and the older, but better, 29"s on steel rims.

I have a sunroof (With surrounding metal), and a new interior from my 4runner.

I say yes, go for this truck. Even at their asking price, it's worth it. Also, that tailgate / bed is the JDM one, and you can buy the repro JDM truck bed in Fiberglass and free up hundreds of pounds and still carry a decent load.

Actually, you can get those trucks so lightweight it's nuts.

-> Steve

Buy it, I've owned like 5 Toyota trucks with 22R's in them and they are amazing. I had a 4 runner with 380k on it as a winter beater.... beat the shit out of the thing, drove it all over and never changed the oil. It's still running today on the original engine. They do rust though. Check the frame over real well, specifically there rear shock mounts are and where the cab meets the box. And if you ever need parts odds are I have it.

I thought that maybe down the road I could swap the 20R head on it. I think it adds somewhere around 30-40hp. That woiuld be nice. I mean, that truck drives DAMN good.

Yeah, the 20r head bumps the compression quite a kick.

I'm not really looking to build up another car, really. I just want something that will run forever, take whatever I throw at it, drives well in Colorado winters, and something that will take me up to the mountains to snowboard with ease. This thing is really seeming like a good buy.

I still want to get a picture of the entire truck, like from a side view. It was dark and the parking lot was crowded, so I couldn't get a really good shot. PICS ARE ADDED TO ORIGINAL POST

I dont know much about the truck it self but I know that the 22r motor is a kick ass motor. Thats what my dad runs in his sandrail and it gets the job done well. Id love to get an older Toyota truck. From the sound of it you really like that truck so hop on it and go buy it.

I dont care what you say. there is more rust then you think.

We have 2 Toyota trucks. Wanna buy one?

86 and 92

My budget is like no more than 1800. Plus you're located WAY far away.

And I can't drive.

not bad trucks i would find newer for the same money they are bad for rust period 22r motor is bullet proof check the timing chain and guides and keep the valves adjusted and your golden

Back