need some math help real quick

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

alright well its been almost 4 years since i took trig which was the last math i had to take. now i need to solve a problem and can't remember this shit.

i got a right triangle that measures 10', 32', and the hypotenuse is 33.56', i need to find what the smaller of the other two angles is.

sin theta = opposite / hypotenuse

cos theta = adjacent / hypotenuse

tan theta = opposite / adjacent

tan^-1(10/32) = 17.354 deg

180 - 90 - 17.354 = 72.646 deg

those are your angles

Quoted post[/post]]
sin theta = opposite / hypotenuse

cos theta = adjacent / hypotenuse

tan theta = opposite / adjacent

tan^-1(10/32) = 17.354 deg

180 - 90 - 17.354 = 72.646 deg

those are your angles
thanks. yea i remembered that first part because back in H.S. they taught us to remember it as SOH CAH TOA, like if you sound that out. if you remember that little saying you can figure out which sides of the triangle to use for each one. i just couldn't remember how to figure out the actual problem.

now how would i figure out what one of the sides of the triangle is if you have the same angles but i don't know the hypotenuse or the short side of the triangle but i know the long side is 160'?

the long side of that last one was 32 and 160/32=5, so would the other side be 50? sounds dumb but i have been up all night and can't think right now

I've got a better way to remeber it

Sin Cos Tan

Oscer
Has

A
Hairy

Oval
Ass

apply sin cos and tan to the the two pairs respectively

with the same angles and knowing one side....

. |
. S | \
. |____________angle__\
. L

to find short side (S):
L * tan(angle) = S

L^2 + S^2 = hypotenuse^2

well fuck that didn't work so well.. but you get the idea...

Eww. I hate all those "this is how you remember it" phrases. I just remember what they all actually stand for and I'm fine. :)

yea but you are asian... you have an internal calculator and can find determinants of 6x6 matrices in your head.

haha..
the asians here are killin me... they remember every bit of math they ever learned.. like i had to go back and re-learn probabilities and shit for this diffusion course i'm in.. they knew it off the top.. they are nuts.

Back