1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some office project ideas

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by get_nick, Feb 22, 2008.

1. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

So now that I have a new job, I'm trying to find a project that I can put together to show off what I can do and to impress the guy i'm working for.

What I do...

Research stocks, record data, build spreadsheets, lots of excel stuff, client relations, and minor sales. I work here at Smith Barney and have a lot of resources and time to put something together. Something that might be used for sales, or reference for the future.

2. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Do you have a risk management portfolio ?

3. get_nick

not really, but what are you exactly referring to.

the main component of the business we are running is managed assets. he is a portfolio manager with 180mm in assets that he has full control over. he pretty much follows the stocks all day and picks them out, while i deal with customers and some of the sales and account setup.

4. Celerity

Then what is it you're trying to demonstrate ?

5. get_nick

that i can do more than just answer phones. i have experience and i'm capable of doing stuff. he just expects a certain amount of time before i'm up to speed and i want to show him that i don't need as much explaining and that i'm more independant and capable of contributing.

6. Celerity

In my experience, don't do that. it bites me everytime.

7. Kanned

Kanned Beast

I would have to agree with Celerity. I think if you do exactly what they are asking of you and do it well, they will see you as a valued employee. I would simply wait for the opportunities for impression to fall into your lap because we both know they always do.

8. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

Some managers and such get a stick in the ass when someone new comes along and tries to show them how they can do something better. I do not think it is a bad idea to work on some stuff and use it when the time comes but I would not press the issue my self.

9. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

I would say wait until he's swamped with a bunch of projects. Notice he's stressed out and offer to take one on that you know how to do.

10. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

11. totalburnout

totalburnout Well-Known Member VIP

Developing a sort of sales piece, if effectively executed, would be beneficial to the company.

What I mean by this is that if you develop a piece of sales material that is founded on the core, fundamental principles that Smith Barney sells on, that the "average person" can relate to, you'll be golden.

I.e., At *******, we developed a sort of "puzzle" that had four puzzle pieces that fit together. The illustration was to show client where they should be spending their money and an aide in diversification.

Short term, short to medium, medium to long, long term were the four components. Short term had your money markets, high yielding savings accounts, etc., etc.

It was used to show clients "how the pieces fit together." One of the sales reps was so successful using this as a selling aide that the entire sales force started using the same material.

This makes sense for myself, because I'm not a numbers oriented person so creating a sales piece that people can relate with is easier for myself than creating some sort of research report.

Just an idea.

12. get_nick

thanks...thats the type of stuff i'm working on. I want to put together some better sales materiel to show to potential clients. spreadsheets, graphs, and charts always are good things to put together.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted