need some opinions on trucks

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

Alright so now that I'm back from boot camp i need a decent ride. I know i want a truck, but im stuck between a Silverado ('97 or 98) or an S10. either way im gonna get 2WD, put it on bags and rims. I know for sure I'm gonna get one of those two, but unsure which one to go for. What i also want to know is if anyone could give me an idea of what it's gonna cost to install the bags and notch the frame. oh, and and i want it setup so each individual wheel can be lowered. I know TPP knows his shit about this so I'm hoping he can help

the pros for the Silverado are that they look better, but then it costs more and wastes more gas. I like the S10 a little better because it's a lot cheaper and uses less gas, and still looks good.

I dont really want to go all out on the truck, just make it look clean, with a nice system inside too. then i'm gonna try and buy either a bike or a project car next, either another rex or a 240.

Try to find the TRUCKS! episode that Stacey puts bags and wheels on a blue s10...... it almost made me want one... then I remember they were made by Chevy..... eww....

05 frontier dude. :-D be the first mofo witha bagged one.

i picked s10 since you are going to put it on bags and stuff, the silverado is a purpose-built car(use it to actually haul stuff around ;) ) the s10 seems like it will look better lowered and stuff.

Chevy thought so.

*leers at the S10 eXtreme option package*

<_<

The other option was a Colorado, but they are like 15,000 so that will limit me from fixing it up for a while

Haha a new 5 cylinder is starting at 18 grand. And that is the 2wd . I would go with the colorado in black with color matched exterior panels.

I have seen them here in San Diego for 14,999, and yeah the black color matched looks badass

I got my black ZQ8 Sport Regular cab with a manual 5cylinder, LS package, DECKED OUT. It stickered at 21,060, and I walked off the lot at 18,600, and 0% financing for 60 months. I pay $310/mo and just over 100/mo insurance for full coverage on that and my Civic.

Not bad, eh? :)

radofrontquarter060504_s.jpg

Originally posted by Jeef@Sep 14 2004, 10:27 PM
My silverado has a v8 and gets better gas milage than my v6 s10 did.
[post=390414]Quoted post[/post]​

I get 22 around town, and even when I beat the hell out of it, the worst I've gotten is 18, and that was with a dyno day, AND taking it to the drag strip for 6 runs ont he same tank of gas.

I got 26 MPG at 80-85 MPH on the way home from Kansas City when the truck had 25 miles on it.

The Colorado is vastly superior to the Sonoma/S-10 platform. That's why they call it an upgrade. :p

If you need more than 3 tons of towing ability, a full size may be in your future, though.

go ford F250 6.0L powerstroke 4x4 and get the banks power pack kit. youll be happy you did. Tire roasting with a diesel is fun.
also being able to tow 12,500lbs is a plus(most people wont need this much, lol, I have a 97 250 7.3l diesel that pulls 10,000lbs twice a day, sometimes more.)
im looking at getting a new one with the 7.3L.

If I were going to get the s10 I would at least get the ZR2, that way you would have the 4.3 v6, I think thier all 4x4, but much more worth it I think. I know two people with s10s, both have the 2.2 i4. They are REAL slow and have little amount of pulling power. I think my old civic cx could have beat them in a race.

Wow, you don't know much about s-10. You can get the 4.3 in any model of the s-10. The zr2 is an awesome offroad truck, I miss mine sometimes. They are slow stock also, the tires are bigger than other s-10s and it is geared like shit.
But its not what he is looking for.

My friend got worse gas milage in his 4.3L Fuel Injection S10 than he did in his Jimmy with a Carbed 305 V8.
they make a turbo kit for the 2.2L

The 4.3 doesn't have enough power so you have to beat on it to get it going. My only experiences have been with automatic 4x4 Blazers and my ZR2. If you are looking for the 4.3 liter get a 94 or 95 since they had more power and get better gas milage.

go for the full size, the gas mileage is pretty much the same... and it's nice to have a full size pickup. we have an 02 chevy 3/4 ton, with the 8.1 ltr 496 big block. it will smoke the tires, while pulling a 12,000 lb trailor, I don't even need to talk about what it does without the trailor.

Back