1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some opinions

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Dustin_m, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

Okay, well this is our first project of the semester. Our problem is that we need to use 5 flat planes to make something that is both sculptural and practical for use. the planes on our final project will be 1"=1' scale. The palnes will be 12" x 12" to represent 12'by12' planes. This is to be something that will be put in a certain open area on campus. It is supposed to look sculptural, but also needs to be made so that students can use it to sit on, hang out, study, etc. These models are just study models, so i can decide on a final design. they are 3"x3" made of foamboard.

I would like a few opinions about them. I am 90% decided on the second model as my final design, and my professor liked it the best too. Just would like some input on em. yea the pics are a little blurry, the camera has a slow shutter speed and i cant adjust it, and i wasn't using a tripod.
    Thanks
    Dustin

Design #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Design #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Design #3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

3 lazy asses have already viewed this and not said a thing. thanks a fuckin lot.

3. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

i have to say honestly, i like number 3 better based purely on aesthetics, however it seems less practical to actually be used, so therefore my vote goes to number two as well

4. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

Yea i like #3 also because of the aesthetics, the repetition of it is cool, but yea just like my instructor said also, it doesnt have a lot of usable space.

5. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

I think #2 has the most potential for practicality.

6. Bob Vila

Bob Vila ɐןıʌ qoq Admin VIP

The third design is both pleasing to look at and functional if this will be soemthing people will be sitting on or hanging out by. The second design didn't do anything for me, and to be honest, there is really only one "platform" for people to chill on unless they want to be a monkey and jungle gym themselves onto the second and third tiers.

I say #3 by far.

7. adidas_man

adidas_man Honorary Honda Driver

i'm gonna have to go with design number 2. it seems more practical to have that one built. sure number three is more functional, but it just doesn't have that sculptural aspect to it.

so my vote is: #2

8. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

make something like this dealy y0

_/|\_

the 2 horizontal panels would serve as outside seating during nice weather, or inside seating during rain(lean-to type deal)

the 2 angled pieces would need to be a diffrent angles in order to keep the proper specs... one would be a nice easy angle with the other one being a harsher angle and creating an overlap, then the first angular could be used to lay on as well, in the shade of the second angular...

and the vertical piece would be the pillar/support tying it all together...

or go with #2

9. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

sounds good, but i already completed this phase and dont wanna stray from these three. i shoulda asked for ideas earlier

10. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

is that just a nice way to say my idea sucks?
    lol

11. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

Honeslty no. thanks for the idea. but i now have a week to complete the actual model so i gotta haul ass on it. lol

12. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

I just say number two cause it's the most aesthetically pleasing, but it'd help more to not have fuzzy as shit pictures :)

13. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

#2.

You dont' want something only 1 person can enjoy, and #2 makes it so it would look awesome and still be very functional.

14. Dustin_m

Dustin_m Active Member

OK heres the final product. its made from faomcore, and some metal screen stuff, thats about it.
    [​IMG]
    heres my nametag. we had to make one that will go with all of our projects this semester. it was done on photoshop, then i put it on foamcore with raised letters
    [​IMG]
    and heres my napoleon. we had to have a scale model of a person next to the model. I didnt want to use a pic of myself so i used the pic off the DVD cover of napoleon dynamite.
    [​IMG]

I was supposed to turn it in on thursday, but when i went to class i found otu that it had been pushed back to this tuesday, so i might add a couple things to it, but not much, probably just a couple footholds in places for people to climb up.

Our next project is a doghouse. It ahs to be portable to the extent only that it can be moved around the yard, not like a carrier thing. I am gonna make it for my little dog who is a chihuahua and terrier mix. We are gonna make a 1/4 size model, 3"=1'. i got a few ideas so far, but still just sketchin on paper. if anyone has any ideas tell me.

BTW thanks for the input on the last project.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted