Need Some Serious Questions Answered

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

From the beginning.........this started as a D16Z6 full engine swap into a '90 HB (std). I bought both the car and the Z6 from a kid and I knew full well the wiring that was involved in the swap. That's no big deal. I just got the engine in the car today when I noticed the distributor slots on the end of the cam were marred just a touch. I was unable to get the distributor in so I began rotating the engine around to align the timing marks so I could pull the cam and clean up the end. To my surpise, I got about 1/4 around when she locked tight. I could move it the opposite direction but only another 1/4. No matter what, I was unable to make a complete revolution of the crank. Disgusted, I pulled the engine and began looking for the problem. I had hoped it was simple but that marred cam got the better of me. Seems someone before me tried beating the distributor in (didn't have one when I bought it) and that caused the last ring on the cam to fracture and cause some damage on the housing that holds the cam in place. The head is fine but the cam and the upper front retaining (for lack of the true name) block assembly for the rocker assembly is hosed.

Here, in my opinion, are my options:
1) Replace the head with another D16Z6 (or at least the components that were screwed).
2) Do a head swap for a DOHC using the lower end of my D16 (the engine I pulled from the car was a D15B1).
3) Find an extremely gifted machine shop and repair the damaged rocker assembly block and cam, or a combo of purchase/repair.
4) Allow my wife to kill me and make it look good so she gets the insurance money.
5) Sell the car and all the crap to some unsuspecting kid who ain't got a clue.

I'm not sure if the DOHC swap like this has been done and I'm a bit worried. I can handle the wiring easily enough, but I'm worried about the things I don't know about.

Please give me your opinions, I'd really appreciate it!

Keep the faith!

Originally posted by Raggedyman@Jun 22 2003, 03:30 PM
If I can't find a Z head, will the Y head work as well? Thanks!

Y8 is OBD II, but if you use your Z6 complete manifold and distributor (if it all just bolts up) you should be good.

Back