Need suggestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tunercrazed

HS Official Hippie
Ok so for awhile now I have wanted a bike, nothing big and mean just something I can pick up on. I've never rode a bike before so I was thinking of going with a 600, perhaps a 250 but I'm a decent sized guy and I think it'd just be too small. I've read through alot of the threads and saw some opinions of some of you guys and its helped quite a bit however, just for arguments sake I want to see what everyones take on this is. I'd like to find something within a $1200 budget as I have very little money right now and I'm not looking for anything great as I'm sure it will get dropped.

If it's you're first bike, make sure you get a good bike for the money. The newer it is, the less it will need.

The 250 is a great bike to start off, and you will not be disappointed for at least 4 months. Then, trade it in on something else. (Or keep it, and get another bike like I should have)

a 600 will be good in a cruiser. Remember that Cruiser displacement and sport bike displacement are different animals. If you wanna go for a cruiser, a 250 or so is really doggy. a Vstar 650 will be a good starter.

I would actually suggest starting with a short bike, like the Honda or Ninja 250. When a bike is short, it's easier to keep up at a stop, and thus will give you a better experience. If you're short on the inseam, then make sure you have a skinny bike or a cruiser. I would start with a small sportbike because the riding position is one of attentiveness and alertness.

Most importantly, remember that you may not know what kind of bike you prefer. Try them all. I'm on my 4th bike in 2 years because I am still finding my niche and preferences.

thanks man I appreciate the info, I really want a sport bike myself, cruisers just aren't my style. I was just worried that maybe a 250 would be a bit underpowered for a 200+ guy but I guess thats not going to be a problem. I was actually looking through some ninja's I like their style so I think I'll start looking for a 250 ninja or honda. Once again I appreciate the advice +1 (after I "spread it around")

Heh... that's ok.

I'm 135 lbs, so the 250 is really good for my weight. But like I said before, use this time in your life to try EVERYTHING. Cruisers aren't my style either - but then again, I'm too junior to know "my style". Low displacement is turning out to be "my style" because my ZX12R is just too goddam much bike, and I've damaged it. My 250 I came close to dropping several times, but I was able to get it in the nick of time, thus saving the day. Now that I've experienced a few drop situations (And 2 drops) I've gained the experience necessary to handle something a little heavier - at least until I drop that.

Drops happen due to inexperience, but I've seen 40 year old veterans drop some serious steel as well. As you get better and better at riding, you'll come to perfect stops and handlebar movements.

The 250 may just get to be too little for you within the season. If that's the case, make sure you have appropriate financing and costs to get out of the loan. The 250 is again nice because it's initial purchase price is so low, and when you need to get out of a loan - even if you take a hit, it'll be a low hit. And that translates to dollars per day that you'll actually spend on riding.

When I got my cheap 250 I was using it for daily riding to work. If you choose not to do that, then you'll need to get all of that money-per-mile value on the weekends. If you do that, then the 250 may "last" you longer.

Also, you may want to look at the GS500 Suzuki. The only reason I didn't like it was because of the triple-mounted gauges and the fit of the plastics. Other than that, it's a great bike, both in looks and performance.

If you choose to this route, try to keep the bike new as possible. I've owned plenty of older bikes and their maintanence made the experience ... "not so good". When I got the 250 it was about the same speed as my Honda 500 Shadow that it replaced - but even better than that, it ran every goddam day. Which gave me the experience necessary to become a "motorcyclist".

Get an older 600 on the CHEAP... if you can find one and know how to work on them.. the old 2 strokes are basically the cats pajamas.

Other than that, start off with something that has a lot of flaws and that you can pick up for 3-400 bucks... and then spend 3-400 on repairs that you do yourself so you learn the bike... after a little bit move onto something that better fits what you want and go from there.

To this day, my favorite bike that is STILL in my garage is my 250, but for the treks coming up this summer I am going to buy a MUUUUCH bigger bike.

Thanks again for the input guys, I have looked around a bit and found some decent bikes, I really can't afford one for another month or so but I expect to use this time to learn as much as possible about them without actually riding one, which I know wont be much. Plus it will give me the opportunity to scout out something I will be able to afford in the coming months. I will keep this thread updated with details in this situation.

dont count out the supermotos either

basically a street bike on a dirtbike frame

pros
nice riding position (pretty upright, just like a dirtbike, very easy on the back)
very light and flickable through the corners (will out corne ANY street bike... period)
excelent power delivery (because of the light weight and gearing)
most will not go over 100ish (good for keeping your happy ass somewhat in check)
the brakes are scarry good
the suspension is similar to a dirt bike (little bit stiffer) so any kind of road feels smooth
its a dirt bike... its designed to take a crash well... and replacement parts are cheap

cons
seat heights do tend to be taller (not good if you have stumpy legs)
the seat is HARD (not good for LONG rides) they do make softer seats... but dont expect anything "cushy"
the tank is small (plan on filling up about 2x as much as your street bike friends.. but this is nice break time to get your ass off that seat)

other
it is WAY too much fun to jump off curbs and over speed bumps, ride staircases, bomb down dirt roads, trails, etc... so its easy to get yourself in enough trouble to keep life interesting
everyone will want to ride it
you will almost always feel like you are doing something "wrong" (its just odd riding a dirtbike on the street)

If you have never rode before my advice is for you to look into a riders safety course. It will be the best thing for you. Most place's will have little 250 there for you to ride so you will not need to have your own bike in order to take a course like that.

Back