Need swap answers ASAP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jdmlove182

I have a 94 civic ex coupe. It has a 1.6l vtec in it. I'm looking to buy a 96 dx sedan and swap the 94 engine into the 96 just for a simple daily driver so I can get some good mileage. Can I do this? I know the 94 is an obd1 and the 96 dx sedan is an obd2 car. But how difficult will it be to pull this off? Please let me know asap. Thanks alot.

this is illegal in about 40 states. check your local laws first things first, as most states have a motor must be newer than chassis law.

this is illegal in about 40 states. check your local laws first things first, as most states have a motor must be newer than chassis law.

Damn B, throw the book at him. hahaha

Or was that the another way of suggesting to use the search button?

Blink 182, I mean jdm182..
Of course this is a common swap(mainly for p28 tuning)..For starters you will need a jumper harness,(buy or make) then swap all of your components, add your 2 wires for vtec. If and when you make it that far. search or check back. ;)

Last edited:
RHDism said components....which means fuel injectors, alternator and distributor. Not sure about the other things on the intake manifold.

Hit up google and type hondaswap.com after and you'll find some good resources for this particular swap. Google search engine works better for me (in comparison to this site's search engine) when I type the site in the key words.

Is it me or does this swap make No sense. If the 94 runs and drives use it. unless its totaled (smashed) Why would you do this swap. Also your going to waste money on buying another car to do a swap for Daily driving. Its just a Daily Driver and your not going to look that much cooler in a car that is 2 yrs older and also came with that 1.6L option. Save your money, go to college.

Last edited:
Is it me or does this swap make No sense. If the 94 runs and drives use it. unless its totaled (smashed) Why would you do this swap. Also your going to waste money on buying another car to do a swap for Daily driving. Its just a Daily Driver and your not going to look that much cooler in a car that is 2 yrs older and also came with that 1.6L option. Save your money, go to college.

Yeah.... The 94 is totaled and just sitting. I can get the 96 with the flawless body for 400 bucks. Problem is it's got a bad knock. I'm not trying to look 'cool' I'm literally doing it for the mileage. And I am in college. Hence the need for good mileage...as for you other guys that actually contributed to my situation, I really appreciate it.

Yeah.... The 94 is totaled and just sitting. I can get the 96 with the flawless body for 400 bucks. Problem is it's got a bad knock.

I thought I was contributing to the situation.. The quote above was the information that would in my eye's made you look like less than a NooB. I don't think im an ass for your lack of Information to the subject.

Ok you have a 1.6L motor.... I am guessing its a Single cam (more missing info)

what engine does the 96 civic have. if its a 1.6 as well you should be able to use all you Components off the obd2 on the obd1 engine.

I just did something similar on a 98 prelude with a h22a od1 swap with out changing the ecu and having no CEL (check engine light)

Lastly I just sold a Eg sedan for 300 buck about a month ago running. so the possibility of finding a Obd1 non running or running car for cheap is still there. hope this is more of a answer you were looking for because your missing info was what I was looking for.

good luck

i would use the intake manifold off the 96, hrow it on your d16z6 block and head, find a obd2 vtec ecu and add a couple of wires for vtec. least amount of headaches

Yes that will work well......plus the dizzy and alternator :smile:

Get the intake manifold switch done off the car......so much easier to get that nasty gasket off.

Back