need to modify radiator for turbo... :'( Any ideas

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed4life

Ok, so here is the deal. I am settin up my turbo on my "Project-EF"
The manifold i have for the turbo shoves the turbo all the way to the core support. No room for the full radiator. No big deal i have an EG radiator laying around.

So i set the radiator in, and i have to modify the mounts, no big deal. Then i realize the downpipe issue. That is bad news. I bolt on the downpipe flange, and i have some radiator interferance. So i need to modify the radiator. I am not going to buy another manifold, i already have everything to setup what i have.

Here are the pics of my setup so far...

1875448_95_full.jpg

1875448_96_full.jpg

1875448_97_full.jpg

1875448_98_full.jpg

I figure i have to cut about 3-4 rows off of the radiator. I know this is taboo to begin with, to make a small radiator even smaller, but it has to happen. I do not have resources to welding it, but i dont know any other way to seal off the rows. I can fold them and crimp them, but that will only go so far.

Does anyone have any recomendations for an epoxy type product that will withstand the heat and pressure? anyone else have any ideas? Thanks.

i don't think its possible to cut a radiator dude.... it will all just leak out if you do.

if it were me, i'd be getting a different manifold... but you already said you don't want to.

best option that i can think of at this point---

flip your turbo over, so that the intake is on that side, and the downpipe is over by where the pwoer steering should/would be.

you'll have to re-do your piping and downpipe though.... i dunno. i'd at least test fit it...

I am with B - sell ur current manifold and get a new one that will fit.

You already know the answer.. You just explained it all out. (In denial?) You need a new manifold, and you need to keep the big radiator. Just do it.

go scout yards for a diffrent radiator...

that manifold looks like the stupidest thing ever created...

have you ever tried to solder on a radiator?

you can either take it to a shop and have them seal off those tubes... or get a diffrent smaller one, or go with a new aftermarket smaller one...

if you;re gonna get one fabbed i would at least start with a better looking radiator...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 29 2005, 03:50 PM
go scout yards for a diffrent radiator...

that manifold looks like the stupidest thing ever created...

have you ever tried to solder on a radiator?

you can either take it to a shop and have them seal off those tubes... or get a diffrent smaller one, or go with a new aftermarket smaller one...

if you;re gonna get one fabbed i would at least start with a better looking radiator...
[post=533055]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, I think im gona try to fab it myself. we will see how it turns out. I realy want to have a new thicker radiator made, but at the same time it may be cheaper to get a new manifold. I just got all the piping done, and dont want to do it again.

1875448_101_full.jpg

As for flipping the turbo, the downpipe/o2 housing will then be pointing straight up, and i do not have a flange to make a new downpipe, nor clearance between the turbo and the hood. im concerned about smacking it as is.

This manifold works well i guess. Although it may not be equal length, its the most direct routing of exhaust gas to a turbo ive seen yet. It came off of a low 12 sec civic.

Oh, and good lookin out B on the clocking of the housing, I almost forgot.

i was wondering if a greddy manifold will clear the stock radiator witha t25 flange on it... im building the same kit and dont know if i will clear the radiator... i believe that manifold on the eg setup was made to work with ac... so im guessing that means it will allow enough space for the ac core... so it should clear the full length radiator no problem...

anyone know if it clears?!!??1

threadjacking :thumbsdown:

if your going to go through all this trouble to fab up a jerry rigged radiatior, why in the hell not just make a new manifold that doesnt suck. I mean in theory it looks good, but there just isnt room for that design inside your engine bay.

I mean im sure you could sell that on egay and pick up a nice log manifold from BMC without losing any money, and be able to maybe even use a full radiator

Originally posted by Speedracer228@Aug 2 2005, 07:23 AM
threadjacking :thumbsdown:

if your going to go through all this trouble to fab up a jerry rigged radiatior, why in the hell not just make a new manifold that doesnt suck. I mean in theory it looks good, but there just isnt room for that design inside your engine bay.

I mean im sure you could sell that on egay and pick up a nice log manifold from BMC without losing any money, and be able to maybe even use a full radiator
[post=534372]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, true. Its about time tho. I dont have the time to do this.

I think the radiator wont be a big deal to do. In fact, i think im gona do it now. Maybe i will use a full radiator, and just cut a huge hole in the middle of it. LOL. It will be fun.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Aug 2 2005, 12:01 PM
hf mani, al you gotta do is get an adaptor plate made, its yours for 50 bucks!!
[post=534486]Quoted post[/post]​

And all i will need to do now is get 50 bux and an adaptor plate made.

I appreciate it, but im just gona cut my radiator, and see how that works.

its not like a rad support or something, your radiator WILL leak and cause you 1000000000000000000X more problems/time down than getting a new manifold

dumb idea if i say so myself

and as for an adapter plate>BMC again or just a log manifold. Im sure you could get together the$125 to get a mild steel log and THEN sell yours for the same. Your going to go through a lot more trouble making the radiator fit around the turbo/manifold then getting a manifold and turbo to fit behind your radiator

edit: and i just read again how you do not have the means of getting this to seal up again, and you cant just cut a hole in the middle of the radiator how is it going to flow through? And time, the time it takes you to cut your radiator up, find out your fucked, then get a new manifold you could have done it the right way from the start.

What about cutting some metal next to the headlight housing so you can move the radiator over a little more twords the passanger side..

You know what.. I know you guys might think im crazy but I come from PR and a lot of the guys, custom make everything..ask FORMBY, hell tell you...lol....

My buddy had a MOTORCYCLE radiator on his, i think it was an 89 hatch with a zc engine and turboed..The thing ran awesome for two years and had no problems..never overheated..and the shit wasnt even tuned runnign at 7psi...His manifold look somewhat like yours....I should've taking pics of it but i didnt think it would be necessary... we swaped a JDM b16a swap on there yesterday and next week we'll install the turbo.....ask ripperbone..Im not bullshit'ING ...I called him for some info...

IMO, if you're cheap like us buy yourself a Moto. radiator or if you have the funds dude, get yourself a new manifold...

Good LUck!

I vote for a new manifold. Using my psychic powers, I forsee a lot of trouble for you in the future, along with regret. :D

Back