Need to move to a new area.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

erikespo

I live in the middle of nowhere. I do have a decent job that pays well. But I am atleast an hour and 20 mins from the nearest big city. So I would like to move. What do you guys think of where you live? If you know, what is the availbility for Network Engineer type jobs?

Phoenix, don't waste your time coming here unless:
You love hot weather.
You're fluent in spanish and english.
You have no desire to keep anything of value (your car).
You want to pay outrageous prices for BUYING a home, if you are renting, it is considerably cheaper.
You love hot weather.
You dislike rain/snow. (300 sunny days per year on Avg.)
You don't mind dealing with tons and tons of illegal immigrants.
We have GREAT freeways, best freeways i have been on tied with new mexico's.
Mexico is only a 3 hour drive.
Weed is roughly $360 per pound.
Coke is cheaper than most places.
Meth pipes are available at any liquor store for $3.
Plenty of illegal immigrants to traffic in weed and coke.
Cops are very leniant.
Emissions .... very easy to please.
High car insurance rates.
Networking jobs are always available.
In winter it is 60 degrees and nice, if you need, you can drive an hour up north, and it's 20 degrees and snowing. (snowboarding/skiing etc)
Small businesses work well here.
24 hour McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Wendy's, Wal Mart, SubWay, etc.

I live in south jersey.
The only thing that bothers me is when the damn shoobies (people from Penn. that come to the shore.) drive around here. Other than that its not bad. Crime isnt too bad, gas is cheaper than most places, usually something to do. I live 10 min from atlantic city 45 min from Philly, 1.5 hours from NYC. So when big shows come around nothing is too far. Atco is 30 min away and englishtown is an hour away. As for the job i have no idea you would have to check out some websites.

Right now I'm in Williamsport, PA which is like NE equivalent of Flint, Michigan. It's horrible. State College is decent but you are still hours from civilization. I grew up around Madison, WI and I can't picture living anywhere else. It's a nice clean city, your surrounded by lakes and an hour and a half drive to either Milwaukee or Chicago. Milwaukee is also a cool place to, but the crime rate is higher.

I live in CT:

Pros:

Work is easy to find, and they pay pretty decently. CT has 4 epicenters of work, and they are all within an hour (2 hours at worst in the worst traffic). Hartford, Danbury, Stamford / Norwalk and New London. I.T. jobs pay very well.

Convenience, Everywhere. You're never more than a half-hour from anything.

Neat roads. Not great roads, but neat roads. Good driving, good biking.

Cons:

The people here are stuck-up assholes that would just as soon as piss on you as say "hi".

Extreme hot, extreme cold. Don't like the weather ? Wait a few minutes. Humidity is way too high for a northern state.

SUVs everywhere. Soccer moms. Yuppies.

Can't afford shit, Rents go WAY up when you're close to work, and then they dwindle down in the rural areas. Houses here are older than dirt, so a cheap rent is usually found in a house with external wiring, cracked and shitty plaster walls, and a hot-water heater that literally sits in your kitchen.

Houses are prohibitively expensive - But coming down.

Taxes here suck. A new Durango, as I found out last night, in my town costs $600 a year in town taxes. The WRX may cost $500 this year.

Everything is expensive.

Did I mention the snotty asshole culture here?

All in all, CT is a dump. But Connecticut is where you come to WORK. This place is loaded with work, and high pay. If you are smart with your money, the best that CT can serve to be is a jumping board into a better life in another state. We have advanced schools here, but I wouldn't raise a kid here - No way. The kids are snotty little shitbags.

- > Steve

Oh, and CT has NOTHING that the rest of the country has. No sonics, no tool places, no bess eatons, nothing. All CT business is specific to CT. Like Stop and Shop, Dunkin Donuts, and Subways. (This is the home of Subway, and we have zillions of them). No Blimpies, nothing like the rest of the country.

Burlington Vermont

Great people. The community is very diverse. Everyone (for the most part) is friendly and if you ask for directions or where something is, they are usually more than happy to point you in teh right direction.
The nightlife is nothing spectacular, so if you like going to dance clubs, this isnt for you. More bars than anything else, i think there is 1 danceclub. but the bars are great, there are the ones that are crowded and loud, then you have the ones that are quieter and not so crowded, you can find a nice table and just shoot the shit with your friends.
Restaurants... there are hundreds of restaurants, with every kind of food you can imagine, its great.
There is everything here, walmart, home depot, dicks, best buy, circuit city, bike shops, auto parts stores (alot), bars, nice restaurants, stores for everything, good take out pizza, a 20hour open sandwich place (great for drunken nights after the bar), lake champlain, a 35 mile bike path, parks, great scenery etc etc
the music scene is pretty good up here, alot of jam band stuff....ALOT of jam band stuff. uvm usually has 3 good bands/groups perform a year, and the other big venue in town gets its fair share (www.highergroundmusic.com).
traffic isnt that bad, only two roads realy get congested, and thats only for about an hour a day. the roads are decently maintained, some roads have their potholes, but for the most part you wont bottom out on anything. They plow the roads in the city of burlington when it snows and enforces a parking ban, cant park on the streets at night so they canplow, and they usually do a prettty good job.
The cops are cool, you wont get pulled over for having a loud car (i didnt in teh three years i had my car up here and when it was loud), they wont pull you over for anything more than 8mph over the speed limit. and if youre at a party, usually they just want you to be quiet or leave... but ther are cops everywhere... its strange.
As far as houses go, i dont really know. i looked at some real estate agent books and to buy a decent house right outside of teh "city" is going to run you about 200k. In city living, depending where you rent can cost you as much as 2500 a month for a whole house. The houses that people rent usually go for around 250-350k. Now there are housees for less that are further away and smaller, it just depends where you want to leave in relation to the "city" and how big the house is...and the view (which constitutes for alot of the price).
Its a great place to raise a family, you have everything there for you and your kids. parks, aquarium, bike paths, rockclimbing places, good sized cliffs that you can jump into part of lake, huge fields, baseball fields, football/soccer... youth sports is huge here.
The schools arent so bad, ive heard pretty good things about them being some of the best in the state, but i cant give you any first hand experience. The colleges are great, UVM, Champlain College (where i go) and St. Michaels school in the next town over (4 minute drive).
Church street is the claim to fame here, its a brick covered road with shops on both sides that spans for 4 city blocks. no cars allowed except to cross it. There are alot of stores for everything from Smoothies to Clothing to bongs to tattoos to music to furniture. Every year Burton puts on a demo (burton factory is located here) on church street and its pretty cool to say the least, its not everyday you get to see pro riders showin off literally 2 feet from you.
Weather... it gets cold...REALY FUCKING COLD. we dont get as much snow as say... southern vermont but thats because of the lake and shit, but its gets windy and it gets colder than amother fucker. if you hate cold, youll hate this place. Heat.. well it gets around 80...75 average, but the humidity... its killer. at some points you can see just how humid it is looking out your window..but that lasts maybe a month and its bearable. so if you hate humidity, then you wont like it here. The winters are long....very long.

lastly, jobs. There are so many employment opportunities here. Advertising firms, advertisng agencies, law firms, GE is here, IBM, recording artist agent firms, banks, two hospitals, schools...everything. Its not that hard to find a job, as long as you arent looking for something that a highschooler can do for less money.

long winded i know, but i had alot to say. Oh, and i love it here, im thinking of staying here after i graduate. the jobs are plentiful and the people are great.

Originally posted by allbottledup@Sep 5 2005, 07:10 AM
I live in south jersey.
The only thing that bothers me is when the damn shoobies (people from Penn. that come to the shore.) drive around here. Other than that its not bad. Crime isnt too bad, gas is cheaper than most places, usually something to do. I live 10 min from atlantic city 45 min from Philly, 1.5 hours from NYC. So when big shows come around nothing is too far. Atco is 30 min away and englishtown is an hour away. As for the job i have no idea you would have to check out some websites.
[post=549728]Quoted post[/post]​

I will be moving to Hoboken at the end of this year for work. Right by NYC, not the same prices on appts etc.

South Bend, Indiana (northern Indiana)

Ok well we don't have much to do in MY city...but we live close to michigan and other places. Cars mostly junk but we do street race so if you have a nice car most of us are easy money. We have ALOT of DSM's they run fast but nothing lower then 12's. In south bend We have one main street we all hang out on fridays and saturdays and stuff like that. Recently cops have been weird so we stay clear of there. Um other then recently cops are pretty cool.
NO EMISSIONS!!!!!!!
Uhh insurance rates are ok and houses are pretty fair. You can find a good house for 75K if not lower. Um gas prices are around 3 dollars here.
We live close to michigan and there is gingerman (auto X track) We have the OC drag strip thats open from 4pm - dusk on fridays and on sundays its open from 9AM- dusk but after I think 3pm its bracket racing.
but not to much to do around here lol. Jobs are pretty easy to come by if you are experienced in something.
O YA no natural disasters up here. We live in a valley so no tornadoes touch down and winters are kinda harsh. We have only had one blizzard since I have been alive and it was still drivable it was about waste high...summers are not very humid I drove around all summer with no AC and im still alive lol

Oh yeah, autosports - I forgot to mention.

CT is the heart of the East Coast scene (Well, NJ technically is, but) we are close to all of the drags, equidistant for the most part. We have FCSCC and CART for autocrossing (Which can fill your summer schedule) and we are close to, and now have, our own drift spot at Limerock. If you do track days, you have Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and Loudon here. We're also 10 hours to Thunderhill I believe. (That's the Ohio park?). Street racing happens in the dangerous, but high-dollar range in Bridgeport, and on the somewhat nicer range in Berlin (Near Hartford). Englishtown is still the primary spot on the east coast - In NJ. We are close enough to hop out to either Boston or NYC for a few hours, and we have a ton of small airports to charter flights anywhere. Or train only runs along the southern coast, and a small north-bound line in New Haven.

-> Steve

Seattle/Tacoma area, Washington state:

Tons of jobs that all pay very well. Cost of living is pretty high around the greater Seattle area and most of King county, but gets WAY better as you go south into Pierce county. Lots of beautiful scenery and mild weather most of the year.

The people around here are pretty lame though. Around Bellevue and Kirkland people wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Lots of rotten Microsoft-yuppie types. You also do have to tolerate wet weather eight months out of the year though. And the summers are humid as fuck. IMO, it's a great place to live. I'd only probably rather live in Spokane on the far east side of WA just cause it's a dry climate and the people are way nicer.

Originally posted by allbottledup@Sep 5 2005, 08:10 AM
I live in south jersey.
The only thing that bothers me is when the damn shoobies (people from Penn. that come to the shore.)
[post=549728]Quoted post[/post]​

haha, in central jersey we call them bennys. its an accronim(sp?) for a few cities that invade the beaches and ruin alot of surfing spots.

Panama City area Florida. It's nice. Nick and Micah live here as well. If you like beaches there are pretty one's here. Gas stays under $3 a gallon. Hurricanes are a bitch sometimes. Tallahassee is only an hour and a half away. If you like hardcore style music, good bands play in Tally a lot.

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Sep 5 2005, 11:17 AM

I will be moving to Hoboken at the end of this year for work. Right by NYC, not the same prices on appts etc.

Have fun living in 'boken, lol.

Pack your gat with you.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Sep 5 2005, 10:59 AM
Seattle/Tacoma area, Washington state:

Tons of jobs that all pay very well. Cost of living is pretty high around the greater Seattle area and most of King county, but gets WAY better as you go south into Pierce county. Lots of beautiful scenery and mild weather most of the year.

The people around here are pretty lame though. Around Bellevue and Kirkland people wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Lots of rotten Microsoft-yuppie types. You also do have to tolerate wet weather eight months out of the year though. And the summers are humid as fuck. IMO, it's a great place to live. I'd only probably rather live in Spokane on the far east side of WA just cause it's a dry climate and the people are way nicer.
[post=549804]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree. I moved away from downtown kirkland 6 years ago, still don't regret it besides the 300% inflation on our old house. When I finish college I plan on moving back to where I'm currently living. Not quite as trashy as you'd say everett, but not nearly as snobbish as the greater bellevue area, although I love for its beautiful cars and amazing eateries.

I live in Lake Stevens. A complete suburb of Greater Seattle. We have a nice lake, more upscale then all surrounding areas, but you can get a decent house on the water still for under a million. You want a job in Network Engineering? Seattle is the most wired city in the country, but also this years most expensive to live in.

The construction industry is flourishing like crazy. I work at lowe's right now, but I do side jobs from time to time, and they're flooded. My dad runs a small siding company and it hasn't been this busy since the late 90's boom. The weather isn't that humid, no more then 70% at 85 tops in the summer, but its been very nice this one. A couple days of rain, but not too bad. I like rain though, so I miss it from time to time.

I have been to spokane, wa a few times, and I believe its going to be a gold mine for real estate in future times, when a suburb or mini-city appears along side and some of the big bucks move east. At this point it will be crazy for network engineering because many small areas and developments are going hardwired for better lines.

Move to Corpus Christi, I'll get you a job working on a drilling platform, good money, weird scheduele, but you wind up getting six months a year off.

Hot, humid, and crime infested, beautiful.

I bought my CRX in Poughkeepsie. Tons of one way streets. but that was only one side of it.. prolly the ghetto side.

I will probably stay east coast.. Right now I am deciding between Worschester area in Mass., Tampa area in Florida, and Rochester area in NY, Not sure what one though.
Rochester is closer to my wife's parents and my brother in law :unsure:
Tampa is closer to my parents and my sister
and Worschester is around where my wife used to live (Uxbridge area)

Santa Clara CA:
This IS silicon valley, this is where it all is at if you're looking for a tech job. I see that the job market around here is picking up. I'm a Software Engineer for VeriSign making GREAT money with GREAT stock options. Housing is the major drawback here, its nuts right now. But the pay does allow you many options. The weather couldn't be better here in the bay area. The tempurature only changes by about 30 degrees through out the year. It only rains from October through May, summer is very dry. It doesn't snow down here, but snow is only 2 hours away for skiing and snow boarding. Traffic also sucks, but again, they pay great. :) Good luck!

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Sep 5 2005, 06:09 AM
Phoenix, don't waste your time coming here unless:
You love hot weather.
You're fluent in spanish and english.
You have no desire to keep anything of value (your car).
You want to pay outrageous prices for BUYING a home, if you are renting, it is considerably cheaper.
You love hot weather.
You dislike rain/snow. (300 sunny days per year on Avg.)
You don't mind dealing with tons and tons of illegal immigrants.
We have GREAT freeways, best freeways i have been on tied with new mexico's.
Mexico is only a 3 hour drive.
Weed is roughly $360 per pound.
Coke is cheaper than most places.
Meth pipes are available at any liquor store for $3.
Plenty of illegal immigrants to traffic in weed and coke.
Cops are very leniant.
Emissions .... very easy to please.
High car insurance rates.
Networking jobs are always available.
In winter it is 60 degrees and nice, if you need, you can drive an hour up north, and it's 20 degrees and snowing. (snowboarding/skiing etc)
Small businesses work well here.
24 hour McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Wendy's, Wal Mart, SubWay, etc.
[post=549721]Quoted post[/post]​

We need to meet up. Im new here.

I love Arizona. Im from Kansas City, Missouri. It was alright there.

Back