need to settle a dispute

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondafreak513

Me and my retarded brother keep arguing about which head is better, b16 or b18c1. I what to get some answers from everybody. He keeps bragging that the b18c1 head is better than the b16 head which I think is a lot better.:argue:

What are your reasons for thinking the B16 head is better?

Years and years and years ago Import Builders did a dyno comparison of a B16 head versus a B18C head, and the B18C won. The B18C head has a slightly different design which yields a higher compression ratio than a B16, thus giving a little bit more power. Stock for stock the B18C head also flows a bit better.

i've been told and researched that the b16 head is just like the b18c5 head. Don't tell me im wrong I don't need my brother's head getting any bigger. And does it matter which kind of block it is on. He has the b18c1 head on a b20 and i am building my friends car and we put a complete b18c1 in it and then swapped the head for a b16 head mainly cause the b18c1 head was messed up.

Well, you ARE wrong. Please show me where you researched that the heads are the same?

It doesn't matter what kind of block, the block doesn't change the characteristics of the head.

Stock for stock, a B18C head is better than a B16. Period.

OK I might be wrong but I was just trying to get a opinion from everybody. I don't remember where I got the info from I do to much work on honda's and search the web way to much to remember that shit. Im not saying your wrong I do appreciate you info. Is there a web site I can compare these two at. cause Im going to be doing more work to my friends car, maybe CTR cams and rebuilding the block with some CTR pistons too. Any more info would be great and thanks to all for the reply's.

There are really 3 different heads you need to be comparing. Not just 2.

PR3 - "B16" off all B16a motors and b17
PR3 - "Type R" off b18c5 or jdm type r b18c and b16b
P72 - "GSR" off b18c1 or jdm gsr b18c

Now stock, the PR3 "type r" > P72 "gsr" > PR3 "b16"

The type r has a stock port job which gives it better flow over the gsr/b16 heads. The gsr and b16 heads have similar flow (one might be stronger in one area where the other is stronger in another, but they are pretty close flow wise) but the gsr head has a smaller combustion chamber that boosts it's compression something like 0.2 points over the b16, which results in slightly more power.

The gsr and b16 heads also have slightly different injector port angles, marginal difference, but I don't think there has been any tests to show if either is more advantageous than the other, just pointing it out.

I'm not giving you an opinion, I'm giving you a fact. A B18C head will yield a higher compression ratio than a B16 head because of the combustion chamber design.

ok i get that I know it gives a slightly more combustion but does it flow better. and gsrcrxsi i think you might have a typo are you sure the type r is a pr3, I know the b16a is a pr3.

Yes, B16 and type r are the same PR3 cast. Type r just has a mild factory port job.

I answered your other question already as well. The difference in flow between the b16 and gsr is negligible. B16 may push a CFM or two more top end where GSR may push a few more mid range. They are so close stock it really doesn't matter. But the compression difference does.

If it was me, I'd pick the GSR over the B16 everytime.

The only thing that sucks about the gsr is the intake manifold/IAB's. With a skunnk2/other b16 style IM bolted on to a gsr, there is no comparison.

Shrug. they're about the same. When you talk about compression you have to take into account pistons and tuning.

Ok cool so thats two for both. Yeah pistons and tuning will be this winter, we are taking the swap out of a EG hatch and dropping it into a new body a nice new 98 4dr Integra I know you all will say its to heavy why switch well for some reason deer's didn't like the hatch and they kept running into it and the ice never liked it neither. So gonna try a new car and rebuild the motor this winter.

now dont get me wrong.... stock vs stock with all stock components, the gsr head WILL make slightly more power.

stock for stock, the GSR makes slightly more power with the added compression but the B16 flows better and revs up much faster. The GSR intake manifold is garbage.

I vote B16 head.

Back