Need To Shave About 500-700 Pounds

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

22crazy

i have a 96 civic hatch back....just wanted sum ideas about how i could get rid of about 500-700 pounds off my car. thanx

OMG! well take out the engine, tranny, axles, tires, radiator support, spare tire and other crap..... oh wait, do you want it running? :lol: . Unless you get a full tube chassis you arent losing 500 pounds. 100 is pretty hard to get, but good luck

Also very easy to save a few lbs in weight by removing back seats, brackets for seatbelts in the back, all panels and carpets and padding, all stereo parts and everything with them including the brackets and last but not least, the easiest and my favorite buy getting a cf h00d.

For the extreme, easy weight can be saved by taking off bumper supports but is very very unsafe in an accident.

do this:

s3e31a4bf59c9e.jpg

Is this a track only car or a driver? If it's track only get rid of the heater assembely at least some of the glass get lighter seats or take the tracks off the seats custom dash etc.

Pretty much take out everything that makes your car look pretty. It would be unsafe but cut out metal such as your truck brace behind your back seat. You could also gut out the usless things in the engine comprtment like the cruse control box, air box and winshield wiper fluid container. Hell maybe loss a few pounds off your gut J/k :lol:

Good Luck...

if you yourself go on a diet along with removing the a/c and ps. and the entire interior.
you might net a 100-200lbs reduction in weight and htat's pushin it.

If you are serious about getting rid of that much weight...strip all of the interior out, carpet, seats, door panels, cut the dash to only hold your instruments, headliner - everything. Then get rid of the heater and a/c. Then get out the plasma cutter, remove all of the extra sheet metal inside and outside the car, including the bumper bars. Throw away your doors and hood, get aftermarket fiberglass ones. Get rid of your headlights, turn signals, etc. and replace them with a 0.040" thick aluminum sheet metal with a decal replica. Take out all of your glass and replace it with plexiglass. Strip off every piece of beauty molding you can find on the car. Strip out the execess wiring harness that you don't need any more becuase you took out what connects to them. Now get out the plasma cutter again and start looking for other things you don't need - becuase now you are down to a racecar. Get rid of the alternator and get a smaller battery. Get rid of the stock fuel tank and replace it with a lightweight aluminum fuel cell. You have a start...

Kirk

i suppose you could fill the tires with hellium or hydrogen.... its a lot lighter than air so it will have the effect of a weight reduction
:lol:

take your car to the local truck stop and weigh it... remove evey thing you can and let us know how much it was....

my 89 prelude weighed 2750lbs... I lost the spare, back seats, a/c(all of it, condenser, piping, ect) cruise, carpet, padding,trunk panels, rear seat belts, and also the front bumper support and it was 2480lbs

since then I've added the H22 and a turbo, so I need th weigh in again.

:worthy: ----you can thank my son Devin for picking out this smilie!!!!(he's 8)
:ph34r: -----here's my favorite, although I don't know what situation I could use it!!!

Boy, if we only had a tech article about removing the sound deadening from your honda...hmmmmm Where could we find one of those??? :rolleyes:

Back