Need To Shave About 500-700 Pounds

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok here goes

remove the seats and carpet from the car so you can see all of the sound deadening tar now you are ready to start

there are 2 basic methods of removing the sound deadening tar from your car
1 is heat
2 is cold

1- heat generally leaves a messy residue all over the flooring ( i didnt do it this way do im not too much help here)
but here goes
using a heat gun (or hair dryer {much slower}) and a 1-2" putty knife or a wide flat screwdriver heat the tar up so it is pliable and pry it up with the putty knife keep doing this untill its all gone

2- cold is a little more expensive but generally leaves everything much cleaner (this is the method i used)
it helps to not do this on a 90*+ day like i did
get some dry ice from a local supplier (check the yellow pages) i got 30lbs (about $35 worth) i had lots left over but i only had the 2 seats in the del sol four seat cars will probly use all 40 lbs

******WEAR GLOVES****** A block of dry ice has a surface temperature of -109.3 degrees F (-78.5 degrees C) this will pretty much fuck you up if you touch it.... so dont.... also its CO2 and as it "melts" it turns directly into carbon dioxide gas.... use it in a decently ventalated area.... and take frequent breaks to BREATH

lay the dry ice on the tar for several minutes (at least 10) i found covering the largest area i could then removing small areas at a time worked best... this keeps everything cold just move the ice as you go
using a chissel or large flat screwdriver chip at the tar and large chunks of it should come away nice and cleany with little or no residue left on the floor... repeat till your done

I ended up using the "cold" method too except I used liquid nitrogen (CAUTION: extremely cold, -190 degrees celsius), the tar actually constrict and shatters off the metal leaving little work for you to do. Other friends of mine have used solvents to remove the tar but if you do this WEAR A MASK! and work in a well ventilated area.

AirLiquide in Vancouver, I borrowed the transportation container from the local high school and bought 1.5 liters of liquid nitrogen for $23. I just said it was for a science project when they asked what it was for.

I am currently taking all of the SRS bull crap out of my Prelude. I am also taking all the extra crap off of everything I can possibly get to. I am not going for extreme weight drop...otherwise, I would lose about 100lbs myself :lol:

Besides...I am just trying to bring my car weight back down to original weight :thumbsup: All the damn stereo speakers made the car heavier for some reason :wacko:

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Apr 15 2003, 11:26 PM
do this:

s3e31a4bf59c9e.jpg

That SCC write up was so funny.

To those of you who have done it,
How much louder does engine/road noise get when you take the tar off?

a little or a lot louder?

Yea..the car resonates more on long trips when you are at a constant RPM. Its a dull droning noise and very annoying. But around town its not a big deal. I pulled about 16 to 18 lbs out of my 95 civic and I used neither method, heat or cold, the stuff just peeled right up in large chunks and i just chiseled out the remnants. For a honda where every pound counts why not take a nice amount out for free. Then you can spend 300 + on the carbon fiber hood and 1000 + on forged lightweight rims with all the money you saved. Fun stuff.

where is this sound deadening tar found at that sounds like something i might do while i am saving up for an engine swap

its really not that loud or annoying (maybe cuz i have a good exhaust i dunno)
and ive driven the car on 6 hour trips

to find the sound deadening take out the carpet its under there

yeah i found it right after i posted that didnt pull the carpet up or anything before that but i knew exactly what you were talking about when i saw it how much weight does removing that stuff take off today i did the passenger side and tomorrow or another day i am doing the drivers side when i have the time or it

in addition to CF hoods, i've seen doors, fenders, hatchs, and other crap like that. I forgot the site but they had all of that and then some. I would do that in addition to the A/C, winshield wiper bottle, back seats, pannels, and all that other crap.

Real Racing rims- 7.5 lbs
Backseat
Passenger Seat
Driver Seat
Carbon fiber hood, driver & passenger fenders, front and rear fascia, carbon fiber windshield wipers (lol).
Remove tar, esp. DX, LX owners
Carpet
1 peice fiberglass dash
Stick a 12in. sub from subway into your gas tank (only 6 grams of fat!)
Then enjoy driving with a bracket up your ass, but you'll be lighter. :D

if u peeps are going to take out the sound deadning do what I did wait till winter and the stuff practicaly falls off heat sucks I originaly started with a heat gun and got mad then hit a part that was cold and it shattered accedents are cool. So are minnesota winters if u are in az good luck i lost 55 lbs sweet plus AC, heater core, every thing from the front seats back that isn't structural if its on the track or if u are caged up I recomend the front rear and side impact beams very heavy also very important safty safty safty speaking of whitch seat belts are heavy take them all out and get 4 or 5 point harnesses u gain a little back but same with doing a diffrent hood etc. B)

Originally posted by junhondasi@May 20 2003, 06:30 PM
if u peeps are going to take out the sound deadning do what I did wait till winter and the stuff practicaly falls off heat sucks I originaly started with a heat gun and got mad then hit a part that was cold and it shattered accedents are cool. So are minnesota winters if u are in az good luck i lost 55 lbs sweet plus AC, heater core, every thing from the front seats back that isn't structural if its on the track or if u are caged up I recomend the front rear and side impact beams very heavy also very important safty safty safty speaking of whitch seat belts are heavy take them all out and get 4 or 5 point harnesses u gain a little back but same with doing a diffrent hood etc. B)

seat belts don't do you much good if your side impact beam is gone and your car crumples likea tuna can. hahah.

Back