Need urgent swap advice *92B16VX*

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

supaCOUPE

Since my man John is off playing G.I. joe, i have been forced to do the swap alone! i have no real worries, except for the wiring!

here is my wiring problem. at first, i thought that using the 99Si wiring harness and ECU would make my problems disappear, but no! i didn't realize you only needed the 99Si wiring harness for the plugs???

now that I have set my mind on using the dx engine harness from my coupe, i am doing my homework. now, i understand that i have to do the IACV fix, that actually doesn't sound too hard. but what do i have to do on the ECU side.

also, if I am sticking with the dx harness, i should be able to use the obd2a to obd1 conversion harness that i bought right? i have an obd1 p30 ecu that i would really like to use, it is EDM. the obd1 b16's run really hard over here in Germany!

what do you mean by the "ecu side", are you asking where everything pins to the ecu (once the iacv fix is done)?

yes, you can use the conversion harness if you want to go obd1

96-98 civics are FORCED to use the stock wiring harness. there is NO OTHER WAY to do it without re-wiring the ENTIRE car.

so, use yoru stock harness.

run wires for vtec/knock/etc if necessary.

if you are using the 99's ecu, you will need to get a 2a car side to 2b ecu plug conversion harness.

or, get a 2a->1 conversion harness and run a chipped p28 or p30. the EDM p30 will run the motor fine

Mike, just take a deep breath and do it. Use the harness you got, it shouldn't need anything to be added to it, just look at the pinouts for OBD I and make sure that you match the plugs up right.

And the EDM P30 is the best ECU for you, no speed limit, and no knock, beautiful.

well, we just got finished transporting the motor to the garage (auto hobby shop), and things are all set for tomorrow.

you'll be with me in spirit john! i am actually feeling really confident about the whole thing!

"And the EDM P30 is the best ECU for you, no speed limit, and no knock, beautiful."

werd! anybody have any last minute tips or tricks to make it go easier???

we got the motor in the car! we will be doing the IACV fix tomorrow, and starting her up!

put in the ecu also, used the obd2a to obd1 harness, but there is no room to put everything back where it goes! oh well!

you said you're putting in a 99 Si b16a2 right ?

if so, you've got the wrong conversion harness, that motor is obd2b, not obd2a. there are a lot of differences.

Originally posted by twisted civic@Aug 22 2004, 12:49 PM

if so, you've got the wrong conversion harness, that motor is obd2b, not obd2a. there are a lot of differences.
[post=380215]Quoted post[/post]​

His car is OBD IIa, his ECU is OBD I. He is using an OBD IIa (car) --> OBD I (ECU) harness.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Aug 22 2004, 10:10 AM-->
twisted civic
@Aug 22 2004, 12:49 PM

[post=380215]Quoted post[/post]​

His car is OBD IIa, his ECU is OBD I. He is using an OBD IIa (car) --> OBD I (ECU) harness.
[post=380221]Quoted post[/post]​

my problem now is wiring the whole thing up. the plug on the B16A2 alternator is a four wire plug, but the plug on my harness is a 3 wire plug????? and we are having problem with the length of the wiring harness... HELP! this is really frustrating!1

Use the B16A2's harness and extend the short wires. For the alternator....hmmm...find out where the fourth wire goes and adjust fire. I don't have any manuals with me, so exact answers are slim.

i had the same problem follow you plug from your d16 alt. and add the wire to it you can open the fourth hole there is a plastic cover on there that comes off with ease just add the wire i did it and it worked just fine just make sure you keep it in the right order

Back