Need Winter Tires

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The graspics are exactly what I'm getting this season. I just need a different size is all. I actually think I have a line on some WinterSport M3's that got barely used (my mother.)

blizzacks area great-- IN the snow.

the problem with living in the northern belt is that you honestly maybe have 10-20 days out of the 100 days of winter where there's actual snow on the roads. Thus, you want a tire that is ok on the dry pavement too. And this is where i feel the blizzacks fail. They are TOO dedicated to being a snow tire that they forgot about being a 'cold weather' tire.

this is the truth that is the only down fall to them

the problem with living in the northern belt is that you honestly maybe have 10-20 days out of the 100 days of winter where there's actual snow on the roads. Thus, you want a tire that is ok on the dry pavement too. And this is where i feel the blizzacks fail. They are TOO dedicated to being a snow tire that they forgot about being a 'cold weather' tire.

true. +2

and remember, unless you have a winter where its snowing constantly, you wont need studded tires.

You're probably referencing the Blizzack WS-60/70. Those are more a dedicated snow only time. I use them and can accept the poor dry performance for what I get when its snowy out. The Blizzack LM-22 is considered a "Performance Snow Tire". They have a stiffer side wall and higher speed rating than the WS-60. That may give you a better compromise.

The only blizzak i drove was the lm25. i was not impressed with it.

studs are illegal in some states, and frankly, are only good for ice. they won't get your through snow.

Hankook has some nice snow tires out, cheap too whether studded it not. I was going to pick up some 195/50/15s for I think $60 a piece. Yokohama has some nice ones also. It's funny that when I look at all the different brands coming in our warehouse (Discount Tire Direct) I notice every brand has the exact same tread pattern. The difference is in the compound. Pirelli/Continental are a little stiff for my liking.

Back